1:1 woods photos

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I'm really finding my little niche with my post process I think now ..
I am trying to create images that although aren't accurate to real life, but also dont shout the post process from the roof tops if that makes sense?
I'm looking for a sort of surreal edge that catches the eye, but isn't instantly obvious what I have done ...
anyway, a sunday jolly in the woods turned up some pretty simple photos that i hope i have added some interest to... anyone got any thoughts on these?
also, i started by setting the camera to 1:1 - it was my intention to only shoot in that format ...and although i ended up changing the camera back to 3:2 to give me a bit more room for manoeuvring in lightroom, i have rested on that as a format (i think my foray into "instagram" and lomo has had an effect on me)

_1030316.jpg

_1030309.jpg

_1030317.jpg

Hi Hamish,

I like the PP and like muted colour in general and know exactly what you mean. This is probably why I am drawn to simulations of existing analogue processes rather than more hyper-real and true digital PP. Also I'm a big fan of square format having spent so many years shooting 6X6. Personally I would have cropped the last shot near the log in the bottom RH corner and then re-framed for square format.

the ivy was actually the thing that drew me to it in the first place Pete ... so although I know what you mean i think id be cheating my self out of the original photo if that makes sense?

Im pretty certain im getting better at pp now ... i can achieve what i see in my head using lightroom almost all the time now ... which is quite satisfying :)
Im especially pleased with the first shot, there is a negative exposure gradient on the left of the image behind the leaf and a positive exposure on the right. i wanted to isolate the leaf from the background but still retain the lightness to the image ...
here is the shot out of the camera, compared to the end result

_1030316-2.jpg

_1030316.jpg

obviously i did a lot of other stuff to it ... but the main thing was getting the lighting right ... and i managed that quite happily ...
im actually really pleased with these images for that more than i am with them as images them selves i think :)

You've been cheating Hamish! ;)

Very nice - very stylish look without being over done in any way.

I've been thinking about this sort of thing recently, I really want to find some wet leaves on a rock formation. To be fair, with your comparison it's a really subtle change which makes a really big difference. Like something commercial. Good ****.

Back