1940's re-enactor and singer.

Shaun Haselden

Between the years 2005 and 2012 I lived in Pickering, North Yorkshire. Whilst I was there their 1940's Railway at War event was a thing I just couldn't miss out on. During the year 2007 I took a series of photographs on Pickering station. This is one of them. Her name is Lola L' Amour. She is a singer and 1940's obsessive. Nikon F5 with a Nikon 24-120mm VRG zoom lens. Kodak Elitechrome EBX 100 film.

Attachments

• Miss Lola L' Amour 1940's re-enactor Pickering North Yorkshire.jpg
    Miss Lola L' Amour 1940's re-enactor Pickering North Yorkshire.jpg
    877.1 KB · Views: 18
Here is another.

Attachments

• Miss Lola L' Amour 1940's re-enactor Pickering North Yorkshire toned monochrome.jpg
    Miss Lola L' Amour 1940's re-enactor Pickering North Yorkshire toned monochrome.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 18
So if the time in my mind Shaun I wondered if you actually went back to the 40's! Great color and tone.
Wes, I tried so hard to get the look right. Both were shot on film so that part was easy but the mono one was a bit more difficult. To get the pale washed out old school look I added a digital red filter by accident in Photoshop. It worked washing out the skin tones. Sometimes we simply have little control.

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.

Wes, I tried so hard to get the look right. Both were shot on film so that part was easy but the mono one was a bit more difficult. To get the pale washed out old school look I added a digital red filter by accident in Photoshop. It worked washing out the skin tones. Sometimes we simply have little control.

Thank you all for your comments, much appreciated.
The work paid off to me, that monochrome is so subtle it feels aged film stock.

Really great images.

Two more street portraits taken during the 'Pickering years' 2005 to 2012. This was THE most amazing event in the yearly calendar of the town only to drag to a close years later. Based around the heritage railway across the North York Moors, the event seemed to die a slow death from 2012 onwards mainly I think due to apathy on the part of the railway. As with so many things it was time to move on.

Nikon F5 with a Sigma zoom at 70mm. Kodak Elitechrome EBX 100. TTL fill in flash.

Attachments

• Pickering 1940's Weekend Para re-enactor.jpg
    Pickering 1940's Weekend Para re-enactor.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Pickering 1940's Weekend.jpg
    Pickering 1940's Weekend.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 9
Very authentic!
Thank you Gary. When I used to frequent these 40's type weekends I only ever picked kids in their 20's age wise to try to keep an authentic look. There is no point photographing an 'SAS' operative who is in his 60's. It would just be so pointless. I then used to shoot film but colour film to try to keep another aspect a bit more authentic. I chose a lower camera angle to emphasise authority or so I thought and most of all had a wonderful weekend. It helped that at the time I also lived in the town.

And another...

Pickering war weekend or as it was also known, Pickering railway at war weekend. A shot I took in 2006 of a re-enactor playing the part of an American GI sat on a Sherman Tank. Amazing weekends. I miss them a lot.

Nikon F4E with a Nikon 24-120mm VRG lens. Kodak Elitechrome EBX 100 film. Epson V700 scanner.

Attachments

• Pickering War Weekend 2006 American GI re-enactor.jpg
    Pickering War Weekend 2006 American GI re-enactor.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 6
Oh yeah, trying to capture the grittiness of it all.

Back