A bit different architecture

Art Meripol

l230621_CMH_St.ClairJail_0004-Pano.jpg
Recent work for an architecture firm. Very interesting to photograph a brand-spanking new jail. Not your usual architecture shoot. Municipal architecture requires very specific talent and knowledge. This super-secure facility houses 323 inmates and has control stations for staff to manage lights, cameras, doors and other tech to keep staff and inmates safe. The old jail was outdated and so crowded the county had to send inmates to other counties which created hardships on families and higher costs.

230621_CMH_St.ClairJail_0106-Pano.jpg230621_CMH_St.ClairJail_0151.jpg

Trying to deal with a monochromatic 'color' scheme was a challenge, especially in small spaces. And of course my site contacts were Sheriffs deputies, about as much of a sense of humor as the TSA. I really enjoy shooting for this firm and was glad the jail wasn't yet occupied.

Photographs were mostly with a Canon 24mm Tilt Shift lens except for the aerial with my drone.
230621_CMH_St.ClairJail_0169-Pano.jpg

230621_CMH_St.ClairJail_0021-Pano.jpg

And this padded cell kind of freaked me out!
230621_CMH_St.ClairJail_0046.jpg

Those indoor shots look like a true challenge, Art. Particularly the smaller spaces. What to include, what to leave out,...this angle or that. You've done well in my view. I hope the architecture firm appreciated your skills.

Those indoor shots look like a true challenge, Art. Particularly the smaller spaces. What to include, what to leave out,...this angle or that. You've done well in my view. I hope the architecture firm appreciated your skills.
Thanks Brian. A challenge but fortunately they were very happy with these and the others they received. I shot one other jail for them but after the inmates had been installed. That was a trip!

What an interesting set, Art. And what a colour palette! As a single, slightly enigmatic shot the padded cell is my favourite and I cans why it might have freaked you out. The 'normal' is pretty depressing isn't it? In fact the whole place feels very 'mechanical' and makes one wonder whether the institution is simply for processing people or to rehabilitate them.

What an interesting set, Art. And what a colour palette! As a single, slightly enigmatic shot the padded cell is my favourite and I cans why it might have freaked you out. The 'normal' is pretty depressing isn't it? In fact the whole place feels very 'mechanical' and makes one wonder whether the institution is simply for processing people or to rehabilitate them.
sadly I think it's for nothing more than housing the down and out, no rehab involved in the prison industry, just punishment and profit

Back