A Bit of Photojournalism

Brian Moore

While waiting patiently as my descendants and their mother hungrily oggled the wares of a Latin Quarter chocolatier, I became aware of a commotion behind me. Turning toward the din, I briefly witnessed the ending moments of a tug-o-war. The contestant on one end of a handbag was a rather tall and elegant blonde lady in a long yellow dress whom moments earlier I had noticed dining at a table streetside with a disheveled gentleman not nearly so deserving of such fine specimen of the feminine gender. Tugging mightily on the other end of the same handbag struggled her opponent, who at first glance seemed a waif, but upon more accurate focus of my eyeballs was revealed to be a young woman, not tall, but swarthy and compactly-built. A would-be thief, I quickly surmised.

To her great credit, and my utter devotion henceforward, the tall, elegant woman in yellow won the battle, retaining her handbag and all it contents, and proving the benefits of diligence and readiness at all times.

It all happened in a flash, but not so quickly that justice could not be summarily dispensed.

Note, if you will, a gentleman in dark apparel near the center of the image striding purposefully toward the camera. He is an official of the restaurant in which the elegant lady in yellow dined. A manager, I would say. Note also, just left of him in a white top and dark pantaloons, a smaller individual, back to, and striding away from, the camera. This was the would-be thief.

Moments before I snapped the shot, the gentleman in dark clothing had briefly apprehended the thief by grasping in his left fist a portion of her thick hair and then with his right hand had dispensed a mighty wallop to the side of the criminal's face. She took this as an affront and became outraged, tossing a chair into the street and bellowing obscenities for the next several moments while escaping along the street with an accomplice. She had the lungs of opera singer I can tell you, and the acoustics at this location were wonderful!

I got another couple of pictures of the mayhem but they are out of focus as I shot in haste and with a manual camera (my trusty old Canon F1). No time to focus or adjust exposure. This was the only decent image. Three days in Paris, three criminal events witnessed. What a town! We can't wait to get back.

F1AristaPrem400--033.jpg

Last edited:
there is certainly a palpable sense of tension in the atmosphere

- - - Updated - - -

it that a sentence?
palpable sense of tension
and
palpable sense of atmosphere...

there is certainly a palpable sense of tension in the atmosphere

- - - Updated - - -

it that a sentence?
palpable sense of tension
and
palpable sense of atmosphere...

Needs a . at the end, I'd say.

- - - Updated - - -

It was just a set up promo for an opera singer's next DVD. You might be in it....

Palpably tense, I'd say ;-)

I didn't warble, though, so I won't be audible.

The funny thing that in a bit more than 20 years in Paris i just assisted to one of such events; but every time visitors come over, there is always something happening around them ::confused:.

Funny that, Maurizio. We witnessed this that I posted. Plus, my wife was pickpocketed. And also we witnessed police action one night across the road from the Eiffel Tower. Perhaps it was a full moon.

Funny that, Maurizio. We witnessed this that I posted. Plus, my wife was pickpocketed. And also we witnessed police action one night across the road from the Eiffel Tower. Perhaps it was a full moon.

I think it is probably beacause these kind of things happens more in the more turistic areas, that after a while in Paris you do not visit very often :)

We saw no crime when we were there... A lot of beggars with thier heads on the floor and a few grumpy French people (;)), but no crime :)

It's a great shot Brian - the white shirts facing one way, the black shirt heading the other way

As you look around the frame, everyone's gaze is directed back to the action

And it all looks wonderfully French with the wonderful boulevard and buildings

It's a great shot Brian - the white shirts facing one way, the black shirt heading the other way

As you look around the frame, everyone's gaze is directed back to the action

And it all looks wonderfully French with the wonderful boulevard and buildings
Much appreciated, Chris. Thank you.

Somewhere in there is a lollipiop lady :p
You may be right Ahmad! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Not much to add but Hamish is quite right, even without the description, the tension is palpable. And I love that you have both protagonists in the frame and moving apart at crossed diagonals even! Super stuff Brian. :)

Much appreciated, Pete. My daughters though I was mad, running toward the action. But if I hadn't I wouldn't have got lucky enough to get both the perp and the knight in shining armor in the same shot. Thanks Pete!

Back