A church bargain --Cheap as Chips Challenge

As may have seen in the original Cheap as Chips challenge thread; I have been fortunate to purchase a Nikon Zoom Touch 105 QD VR (also known as the Zoom Touch 700 QD VR) camera. It was in great shape. The batteries were working and I was able to hear the shutter perform and the advance on the winder working.

Fun part, many folks thought I was strange to purchase a film camera. One comment was from this elderly gentleman stating – “son haven't you heard of digital cameras?” The lady who sold it to me gave me the film, she said - “Better take these, honey; the store stop selling film 4 years ago.' And I heard some comments from the folks around on how crazy I was to buy junk.

Oh well their loss my gain --

Nikon created the 105's around 1994. Here's their web statement regarding the camera's features. Note, the CR123 batteries; to me are not a feature item.

Key Features

* The World’s First Compact with Vibration Reduction for Enhanced Sharpness
* Vibration Reduction (VR) function
* High-performance 38-105mm f/4-7.8 zoom lens
* Scale Imprint function (QD model)
* Built-in Panorama (13 x 36mm) mode (QD model)
* Two 3V CR123A (or DL123) lithium batteries

At the time Nikon marketed these they were excited to introduce a vibration reduced camera. A long time ago there was a department store known a Fedco. They were mainly California based. They had these in the store, I tried one of them back then, because I was looking for a simple camera to use for my wife... and I remember then they were rather expensive at the time; over $500 each copy,

Consider at that time I could purchase a Nikon SLR for just the same amount of money! Based on the high price the camera did not success and Nikon moved on - rather quickly. The VR system is the original design that has anchor the entire Nikon VR designed there after. On May 25, 2011; Nikon filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Sigma in Japan, based on Sigma's VR systems in their lenses; the argument was based on this 105 VR design being used in Sigma equipment.

As for the camera's operational functions, is a basic rangefinder point and shoot profile. The camera has an auto wider built-in. The viewfinder is nice, except the lens is visible in the lower right hand corner, and is sometimes annoying. I understand they wanted to help the user so on the right outside of the viewfinder are two lights. the upper is for flash status and the lower is the VR light to show it's working.

Controls --- There are four buttons on the center of the camera and a LCD screen. The LCD give a digital count, flash status and type of flash, focus control - macro or infinity and VR status. When the camera is off the LCD show OFF. There a button by the lens that allows you to turn off the VR is you so desire. The zoom control is found behind the camera on the upper right hand side for right thumb use.

The Panorama switch moves a mask in the viewfinder to help you center the shot. I do not see any other functions the Panorama provides. If I have missed anything, sorry – no manual, so I have been doing this by trial and error so far.

I have noted the spot meter is a little weak. But it could be that I'm not use to the camera. So I may need to trial a few more rolls to get use to the system. Also the film could be the issue too. It was dated 2006 MAX 400 24 frame film.

So enough of my tripe -- here the shots from the camera's first roll. All taken at California State University of Long Beach (CSULB or known to locals as “The Beach”) on Saturday morning.

This picture is from the Engineering wall. I have always love this bronze sculpture. I hope you enjoy it too.

scan0002.jpg

The second picture is the Carlson Bloc Bell Tower.

tower.jpg

And here the last one for this posting tonight I call it the Bike Rack Worm.

worm.jpg

This was fun and I really enjoyed the challenge.

Duane

Last edited:
It is a nice set. I am not familiar with the wall statues, but I see I guessed correctly (in the first posting of that picture) as to where they are. I like that picture of the wall statues. It's enigmatic. I also like Bike Rack Worm. The bell tower reminds me of UC Riverside. My daughter is in her junior year there. I believe each of the UC campuses has a bell tower. Not sure about the Cal State campuses.

Ansel Adams made a series of large format of the UC campuses, I think it was in the 70s. I saw a collection of them bound in a large format book a while back. A bit too much for my wallet at the time, but as you can imagine the images were wonderful.

I think you had mentioned in a posting some months ago Duane that you found the architecture at CSULB interesting to shoot pictures of. I agree completely.

Again,...nice set.

Woah - that first shot reminded me of that Will Smith movie, where he's hunted by the vampires!

Love the bike-rack shadow - very cool pattern, and really well observed.

Back