A Guide to Wedding Photography - Part 3 - Kit and Clothes!

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
Now you have some photos and an idea of how you might run your business, do you have the right gear to actually do this for a living?

Camera and Lens Choice

In theory a good photographer should be able to produce a good image with any camera!
But lets be sensible, you need to be producing something a little bit better than uncle john with his consumer level hybrid Nikon!
Of course much of this is about what you do with the kit, and not the kit its self...
But, there is a good reason pro level kit is pro level, it is hard wearing and in the right hands should be able to produce better images!

591562853.jpg

Obviously what constitutes a better image is subjective... and i'm not going to go into that here!
But having a camera that will work and take shots in low light situations is going to be an advantage!
Most churches will not allow flash photography during the ceremony, and in fact this is also true for venues that hold civil ceremonies.
If you cant afford a pro level camera, then start with faster lenses!
A higher end consumer level SLR and a 1.8 50mm will serve you very well in those difficult light situations!

Only look to take the bare minimum of kit with you, you don't need your entire collection of glass!
A normal zoom will cover almost every possibility, a tele might give you the odd advantage, and as mentioned a fast prime will give you the advantage in low light as well as giving you the option for creative narrow DOF shots if you are that way inclined!

_DSC5524.jpg

It's good to be prepared, but taking to much kit will distract you. The last thing you want to be doing is constantly wondering if you should be using a different lens!
Not to mention the issues of weight, wedding photography is tiring enough without making it harder for your self by carrying 37kgs of vintage and unusual glass around with you!

Other essentials

If your camera is only OK in low light, take a flash, but practice with it first!

A second backup camera is a must! Cameras do fail, at some point some chap called Murphy invented a law that says if it is going to fail it will likely be when you need it the most... My D3 failed at a wedding once, I didn't have a backup, I had to borrow one from a guest! LESS THAN IDEAL!!

Batteries

Take more power than you need, simple...
Don't forget spares for both your flash and camera!

Memory cards

Take more memory than you will need, simple...
Buy your cards from a trusted brand/supplier and make sure to give them a trial run before the big day.
High end cameras often have dual card slots, if you are worried about card failure, setting the camera to write the same data 2 two cards simultaneously offers a nice bit of piece of mind

extreme_cf_32gb_188_160.jpg

Bags

A comfortable easy to access is a good idea! You might even want to consider a belt bag for your prime!
I try not to carry my bag, 2 cameras with lenses attached hanging around my neck then third lens in belt bag works quite well!

Other kit you might consider

Tripod

Do you really need it? Is it going to get in the way? Chuck it in the boot of car...
I have never used a tripod at a wedding, people are moving subjects, you shouldn't be using a tripod to take photos of them really! One justification for a tripod is to set the camera up for group shots... but then all the group shots have the same background... your call on that one really!

Lights

When you have got your self set up properly, some portable lighting might be a consideration, but there is a lot that can be done with a tripod/flash mount, a flash and a shoot through brolly ... My advice would be to worry about this sort of thing in a few years

Clothing

Comfortable shoes are a must, you will be on your feet for a good few hours! As for your clothes, if in doubt, ask your clients! Most will not insist on you wearing a suit or anything OTT like that. Layers are clever, a light shirt, a jumper and a coat is a sensible combo! you dont want to get cold out side, but once inside running around in a thick jumper is never fun! Clothes that allow freedom of movement are advisable.
Put simply a dufflecoat/stiletto combo is probably a bad idea!

Back to Part 2 your business

Part 4 - getting some clients

Last edited:
Back