Critique Welcomed A mistake I liked.

Art Meripol

I've been pulling out old cameras from my collection to see which are still working units. The latest I pulled out was a Kodak Tourist II. This was Kodak's last folding camera and used 620 film to shoot a 6X9 frame on a 105mm 6.3 Anaston lens. Mine appears in good shape but the tiny viewfinder was smudged and dirty, hard to see through.
I found a Youtube video showing how to easily clean it and it was easy. I found a couple rolls of B&W 620 on B&H's site. Then the camera sat near me for a couple months unused.
A younger photographer here in town has really taken to film photography and is doing wonderful work. He has started encouraging and organizing photo walks. I never did a walk with a group before. Being a working photographer if I wasn't working I devoted my time to home and other needs. But he persisted in polite invitations so I recently joined the group for a 'walk'. The walk turned out to be about 25 people meeting in an old industrial warehouse where a variety of artists have found an inexpensive home. One area is a photographers studio and she shared her space.
Using the tourist is simple. I mean it's a Kodak after all. The one thing I didn't quite get right at first was keeping up with which frame I was on. It was hard to be sure I had advanced the roll correctly too. By the end of the short 8 frames on the roll I figured it out but not before I double exposed one frame. I wish I had each of the original frames but the double exposure turned out kind of fun.

Attachments

• 231117_KodakTouristScans-_0025web.jpg
    231117_KodakTouristScans-_0025web.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1936web.jpg
    IMG_1936web.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 12
I'd be more than happy with a few accidents like that. Double exposures often seem to be serendipitously effective. Those shadowy others almost seem like observers or an audience and add to the thoughtful pose I think. It makes her expression all the more challenging.
Thank you Pete. In my many years of shooting I never actually set out to do a double exposure. My first!

When my daughter was little we had a p&s camera with motorized rewind. It didn't retract the leader inside the film cannister. I could blame weak batteries, but it was consistent.

Apparently one roll got reused THREE times. Oops, TWICE plus the first use.

There was one really great triple exposure I wish I had scanned. I can only describe two exposures (no guarantees with mistakes). One was two girls looking at the camera with their eyes wide open, feigning horror (or making kid faces). The second exposure was of a zoo exhibit called a tidal pool...a tall fish tank that repeatedly filled very quickly, drawing in random pebbles, crustaceans, etc. and drained slowly. The fill was dramatic, with foamy waves.

So the image looked like the girls being terrified of a crashing wave they were inside!

The rest of the image was just 'noise' making it more mysterious.

Eventually I took the camera apart to prevent all the uncool images it created from being repeated.

I also have a late-30's Kodak 6x9 folder, a Nagel-built German Vollenda 620 with an uncoated Schneider Xenar. I paid too much, including CLA by a local repairman who trained at Rollei. It's probably a keeper. Ironically, Vollenda supposedly means The End.

Murray

When my daughter was little we had a p&s camera with motorized rewind. It didn't retract the leader inside the film cannister. I could blame weak batteries, but it was consistent.

Apparently one roll got reused THREE times. Oops, TWICE plus the first use.

There was one really great triple exposure I wish I had scanned. I can only describe two exposures (no guarantees with mistakes). One was two girls looking at the camera with their eyes wide open, feigning horror (or making kid faces). The second exposure was of a zoo exhibit called a tidal pool...a tall fish tank that repeatedly filled very quickly, drawing in random pebbles, crustaceans, etc. and drained slowly. The fill was dramatic, with foamy waves.

So the image looked like the girls being terrified of a crashing wave they were inside!

The rest of the image was just 'noise' making it more mysterious.

Eventually I took the camera apart to prevent all the uncool images it created from being repeated.

I also have a late-30's Kodak 6x9 folder, a Nagel-built German Vollenda 620 with an uncoated Schneider Xenar. I paid too much, including CLA by a local repairman who trained at Rollei. It's probably a keeper. Ironically, Vollenda supposedly means The End.

Murray
wish you still had that frame of the girls. Sounds really fun.

That Vollenda I converted to 120, didn't like the way the winding felt, and put the smaller winding key back in for 620. Murray's Law, Section 4, Paragraph 11.

Back