A second lens?

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
I don't even know why I'm asking this question because I can't afford anything at the moment. It's just been a horrible time at home and at work and I guess I'm holding on to the prospect of another three day trip somewhere next year.

As you know, I only have the Sony A700 with the single kit zoom lens - the 16-105mm, which suits my photography 99% of the time. On the odd occasion though, I find I can't take the shot and it's always because the lens isn't wide enough. For interiors I just shrug and accept the fact I can't do that kind of thing, but I feel the need for more scope with landscapes. I suppose I could always try a panorama, but I generally want something in the foreground with massive depth of field and that's when you tend to get stitching problems.

I can't honestly say I missed anything in the Peak District back in September, but I may have been more experimental if I'd had another lens to choose from. So... what is available to fit the camera without costing an arm and a leg? I've been pleased with the quality of my kit zoom, so something similar would be just fine. A short wide angle zoom perhaps, or maybe a prime. If the latter, then I guess around 17mm (in old money, that is) which is what I've used on my old Olympus OM2n. Am I right in thinking this would be 11mm for the Sony?

Cheers Hamish. I really didn't know how to look for a suitable lens, but I did find that second one during my lunch break. It looks possible - as in not too expensive if we ever get on top of things at home and the vet bills. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Eeek! I've just seen the "vulnerable" front element. I don't think I could live with one of those :(

We had a few posts regarding wide angle lenses a few weeks ago. Davie was looking for one and that prompted me to consider getting one, also. The Sigma 8-16 was in the mix. In the end I think Davie got a full frame Canon DSLR with a 15mm lens or something like that. Me? I ended up--should say, Santa has delivered, but I cannot open until Christmas Day--a Tokina 11-16. (I preferred the constant f2.8 of the Tokina over the few extra mm of width on the Sigma.) Don't know if the Tokina is available in a Sony mount, however.

Thanks for that Brian. I think it fits the A700 - I'm terrible with all the terms they use and frankly I don't actually know what the Sony is...

I could never use a lens without a filter in place so it fits the bill and at the widest end it would be exactly the same as my old 17mm. I didn't do a lot of landscapes back then, but I still found that I used it a fair bit. Now to check out the prices :)

Sigma do a very affordable 10-20(24?) too ... Tamron do similar ...
Most third parties do an ultra wide...

find anything you likethe look o Lesley, post me a link and ill find you the exact version you need if you like ...?

That really is very kind of you Hamish. I doubt if I even had 25% of what it would cost, but I'm afraid it went to a cat in Serbia this afternoon. The poor lad was homeless in the snow and needed someone to sponsor a place in a shelter until he can be sorted out and found a proper home. I was the same with my current 17mm lens. I waited for 21 years to get something wider than the 28mm. This one can wait a bit longer. I will bear your offer in mind though :)

Oh - and Bubu is now demanding the fishy screensaver while sitting on my lap. I can see I'm not going to get much processing done (sigh...)

I know... I know... nearly a year on and I never did save up for this lens. However, a wonderful birthday gift from a very dear friend has made me want to try again. I've had a quick look and I think I want the Sigma EX 10-20mm. No idea about the aperture though as there is mention of a fixed 3.5 or a variable 4/5.6. There is also a lot of talk about HSM - what on earth is that and would I want it? If I can decide on exactly the lens, then I know the rough price and I can start adding to my fund. Any advice much appreciated :)

I can't give any advice on the lens apertures, I leave tha to some that knows what they are talking about.
I believe HSM stands for "Hyper Sonic Motor", which is the type of motor used in the lens auto focus. It is supposed to be quieter and quicker than the older standard motors, but the more informed will be able to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sigma do a very affordable 10-20(24?) too ... Tamron do similar ...
Most third parties do an ultra wide...

find anything you likethe look o Lesley, post me a link and ill find you the exact version you need if you like ...?
sigma 10-20mm (4-4.5 version). this was the lens i had with my non full frame canons. loved it. not sure if it comes in a sony mount.

Nice one Lesley :)

Back