A short tour ot Japanese Sentos

Aaron J. Heiner

Sento, or Public Bath is still relatively commonplace in older Tokyo residential areas where apartments may not have a bath tub or shower. Sentos were the central gather place for social interactions through the end of the Taisho/early Showa era. Here are a few bath houses from around the Ueno area of Tokyo.

Attachments

• 2121.jpg
    2121.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 2123.jpg
    2123.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2122.jpg
    2122.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 15
  • 2128.jpg
    2128.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 2129.jpg
    2129.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 15
You've brought back memories for me, Aaron, of the time I did a tour of Japan, playing concerts in seven cities and towns. The architecture looks very familiar to me. I wish sometimes I had eyes that could see in black and white, as many of the sprawling cityscapes looked chaotic, but the absence of colour helps delineate form more clearly. Excellent photography.

I have to agree with Rob and the images bring back memories of mine as well as I used to walk the streets in Japan. Fine images and very well done.

I had hoped I could get internal shots but thought that would press my luck a little, so I only managed to get a couple while closed inside. I just have to find them off the hard drive.

Back