Critique Welcomed A Smoky Sunset in the Wilderness

Ralph Thornton

My wife and I recently completed an 8 day backpacking trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness of Montana. On our last evening smoke from a forest fire turned the evening sky an interesting copper color. This view is along the West Fork of the Sun River.

7783583644_02ba034ed6_c.jpg

Last edited:
Ooohh, a deep fried mars bar! Haven't had one of them for years!
Do they still do them?
Stunning shot Ralph, absolutley stunning!

Wow!

Nat Geo material Ralph - unique location, and event, and a superb shot

Ooohh, a deep fried mars bar! Haven't had one of them for years!
Do they still do them?

Dan,
I went to the Montana State Fair in Great Falls. They seem to deep fry everything there and i'll bet they do Mars bars. I had a Bronco Buster Cow Pie!

Ralph! Beautiful!! Really really superb!
I think with this sort of thing the photo is a great photo when you just see the view and not the photo ... Does that make sense? This is one of those pictures! It makes you wish you were there!

Ralph! Beautiful!! Really really superb!
I think with this sort of thing the photo is a great photo when you just see the view and not the photo ... Does that make sense? This is one of those pictures! It makes you wish you were there!

Hamish, you are absolutely correct. A great photo should tell a story or make you want to be there. I'm not sure this one deserves all the accolades given here but the pic is growing on me. I'll definitely work on a print to see how it mght look.

Bronco Buster Cow Pie
Sounds worse than it is. A 1/4 pound hamburger patty with BBQ sauce and Bacon, put between two thin pieces of dough and deep fried. Pretty tasty it was.

- - - Updated - - -

I revised my original image to remove the ugly branches sticking out of the log on the right side of the creek.

Back