Critique Welcomed A View from Ptarmigan Ridge

Brian Moore

Mt. Baker rises some 10,000+ feet into the air. It's about 50 or so miles northeast of where I live, and is a significant peak in the Northern Cascades Range. There's a scenic spot near the Mt. Baker Ski Area called "Artist's Point." I had tried visiting on two previous occasions:

On my first attempt, in the summer of '22, I abandoned the effort due to wildfire smoke which was growing increasingly dense the closer I got to the mountain. This trip wasn't a total waste because on my way back I came across a delightful brewery nestled in the lowland woods (which was like a salvation because the drive had generated in me a diabolical thirst).

On my second attempt, in April of this year, I got almost all the way there only to discover the last mile or so of road was closed for the season. I didn't have any snowshoes with me. (Visited the brewery again on the way back though,...just to be sure the beer tasted the same as I remembered it.)

Third attempt,...July of this year. No wildfires and the road was open. There are hiking trails up there. One of them is the Ptarmigan Ridge Trail. This view is looking southeast. (I had planned to shoot 120 film with my Yashica TLR but I deceived myself into thinking the winder lever had malfunctioned so I shot my ex-MacKillop Sigma DP1 Merrill.)

What an absolutely splendid view. The fallen tree mirrors the mountain ranges well. That tree on the left bothered me a little at first (a symmetry thing 'n' all that) but take it away and the image is the lesser for it. Very nice.

A splendid image, a dream landscape! As Rob says, very well composed. I just wonder why the colours are reminiscent of certain old hand-coloured prints. Is this a specific choice of yours, Brian?

Must have been thirsty work cutting down all those trees, Brian.
Nothing is too much trouble for my art, Rob.
I don’t blame you visiting the brewery.
Nothing is too much trouble for my art, Rob.
Seriously, very nicely-composed shot.
Thanks Rob. Much appreciated.
A splendid image, a dream landscape! As Rob says, very well composed.
Thank you Gianluca. Much appreciated.
I just wonder why the colours are reminiscent of certain old hand-coloured prints. Is this a specific choice of yours, Brian?
No particularly, Gianluca. It's what emerged from my various slider adjustments in Lr. I do like hand-colored prints so this look suited me. (I should probably make a preset so that I can reproduce the look.) Thanks again, Gianluca.

I do like hand-colored prints so this look suited me. (I should probably make a preset so that I can reproduce the look.)

That is a good answer [The brain of Brian. Sorry for the joke.]

I like them too and in my editing "work" I sometimes get close to that look (even when it is not intended). Nonetheless, I would have liked it if it had been me who took that photo. You don't need my appreciation, however: well done, Brian.

That is a good answer [The brain of Brian. Sorry for the joke.]

I like them too and in my editing "work" I sometimes get close to that look (even when it is not intended). Nonetheless, I would have liked it if it had been me who took that photo. You don't need my appreciation, however: well done, Brian.
Hahaha. “The brain of Brian” is so often a mystery to me. 😊

Thanks for your comments, Gianluca.

Back