Critique Welcomed Table Mountain

Brian Moore

This past Monday I attempted to drive to Artist's Point, a well known scenic area on the slopes leading toward Mount Baker, in the Northern Cascades Range. Didn't quite make it; the road to Artist's Point was closed for the season. (I subsequently learned it opens in July). I got as far as the Mount Baker Ski Area and trudged through the snow a bit to the vantage point you see here. That peak is Table Mountain, which is just over 5700 feet in height. (Nearby Mount Baker reaches 11,000, but I couldn't see it, perhaps due to cloud cover or perhaps I lacked a vantage point, not sure.) I dearly wanted to trudge further to get a better vantage point for photos of the little lake you see here, but I would have needed snow shoes.

Table Mountain by brian moore, on Flickr

I like your comment, Gianluca, but would argue that the colours we are viewing are from a digital sensor, edited for online viewing (as we all know), but not 'nature'. But you know this. I like Brian's image in colour, and wondered whether a b&w version would be compared to a similar type of image by Ansel Adams, raising the question over how much one man has cornered the market (so to speak) in this type of image. Colour is something Ansel used, but not nearly as much b&w. Which is why I like Brian's colour choice.

Forgive me. I'm tired, and even I don't know what I'm talking about! Next!

Well done, Brian. Beautiful area of the world, at least judging by this fotie. I guess b&w would be too Ansel-ish?
Thanks Rob. Actually B&W never even occurred to me. I’m going to give it a try.

(Just realized I wrote this response a day or two ago but didn't post it.)

I like your comment, Gianluca, but would argue that the colours we are viewing are from a digital sensor, edited for online viewing (as we all know), but not 'nature'.
Looking at the RAW image out of the camera it was the composition that attracted me to the picture. The colors were flat and did nothing for me. I pushed a slider or two in Lr and then the picture came to life for me. I took 70 pictures on this little adventure. Only two had potential to be better than mediocre. This one as well as the mistake I posted the other day of the trees out of focus. Both needed work to make them appealing (at least to me). So you're right Rob, editing was necessary. I guess that's why some people contend that you don't "take" a picture, you "make" it.

Looking at this image again, I’m getting more drawn into the 1950’s-esque colour pallet, and it is growing on me as a colour image. The composition is first-rate. Some foties require a period of quiet contemplation to really take a hold, as here.

Back