Critique Welcomed The Intersection of Chuckanut and Whitecap

Brian Moore

This is a tiny section of Washington State Route 11, commonly known as Chuckanut Drive. "Chuckanut" is a Native American word meaning "long beach with narrow entrance" or something like that. Anyway, Chuckanut Drive winds along the slopes of the Chuckanut Mountains, which belong to the Cascades Range. This is the only place where the Cascades meet the sea. And speaking of the sea, any motorist negotiating Chuckanut Drive is treated to frequent spectacular views of Samish Bay and islands to the west.

I use Chuckanut Drive to get to Bellingham once a month or so and each and every time I am almost hypnotized by the beauty of this particular section with its lush, emerald canopy. Yesterday I resolved to try to get a picture without getting run over. I am happy to report I did not get run over. For better or worse this is the result of my efforts.

Canon 5DSR and Canon 24-105L.

That is a fine picture, beautiful greenery and dappled light. That must be an enjoyable drive.
Thanks Dave. It is indeed an enjoyable drive. Although its a well-known route I was unaware of it and discovered it by accident one day. I was heading to Bellingham and resolved to take a route through farmland to get to the main highway. We were new to the area at the time. I found myself on State Route 11 (Chuckanut Drive) and only because it was heading north, the general direction I wanted to go, I followed it. Holy cow what a delight! Thanks again, Dave.

Back