Adobe Cloud Question

Steve Boykin

Is anyone here using the Adobe Cloud service? If so could you explain how it works? I am thinking of using it when I upgrade to 6.0 on Lightroom. Thanks so much!!!

Steve Boykin

Yes. I have 3 Cloud accounts as we use them for work. One is the complete collection and the other two are PS/LR (i.e. the photo package). The latter is what you want but probably only if you use PS as well as LR. It is good value for money I think. The good thing is that you can deactivate your subscription on one computer and open it on another - great for me as I work from several locations. And you get regular updates for PS (the LR ones you get for a given version anyway). The only downside is remembering which Adobe ID belongs to which installation - we do not need enough copies to make a site license work.

The thing that confuses most people is the Cloud name. You still download the actual programmes but they are activated by your CC registration. So each time you start either PS or LR up, the CC control panel will check that your subscription is up-to-date and valid and checks for updates (you choose when to install them). If you are not connected to the Internet that isn't a problem as long as you do so every 30 days - it will work fine off-line in between times. You can download and runs trial for 30 days.

Yes I am using it - I am licensing the Adobe Photoshop and LightRoom bundle for $9.99/month (plus the applicable tax). The way it works is after you sign up, you download the software (all the software resides on your computer, as does your images). The software will periodically check with the Adobe server (via internet connection) to verify you have a current license. You get notices for the various upgrades as they become available. I believe you also get some cloud storage space for your images, but I am not using that feature (all my images - RAW and processed) stay on my computer (and my back-ups).

I see that Pete is a faster typist that I am (my two fingers can only go so fast).

Yes. I have 3 Cloud accounts as we use them for work. One is the complete collection and the other two are PS/LR (i.e. the photo package). The latter is what you want but probably only if you use PS as well as LR. It is good value for money I think. The good thing is that you can deactivate your subscription on one computer and open it on another - great for me as I work from several locations. And you get regular updates for PS (the LR ones you get for a given version anyway). The only downside is remembering which Adobe ID belongs to which installation - we do not need enough copies to make a site license work.

The thing that confuses most people is the Cloud name. You still download the actual programmes but they are activated by your CC registration. So each time you start either PS or LR up, the CC control panel will check that your subscription is up-to-date and valid and checks for updates (you choose when to install them). If you are not connected to the Internet that isn't a problem as long as you do so every 30 days - it will work fine off-line in between times. You can download and runs trial for 30 days.

I have never used Photoshop only Lightroom. I'm not sure what the advantages are there. You've kind of seen what kind of pictures I take. I actually grunge them up more than cleaning them up... :) Do you see any advantages to PS for me?

Yes I am using it - I am licensing the Adobe Photoshop and LightRoom bundle for $9.99/month (plus the applicable tax). The way it works is after you sign up, you download the software (all the software resides on your computer, as does your images). The software will periodically check with the Adobe server (via internet connection) to verify you have a current license. You get notices for the various upgrades as they become available. I believe you also get some cloud storage space for your images, but I am not using that feature (all my images - RAW and processed) stay on my computer (and my back-ups).

I see that Pete is a faster typist that I am (my two fingers can only go so fast).

Actually the cloud storage is one of the things that interests me. I am having some storage issues on my Imac. I guess I could learn how to use the external hard drive I bought...sigh.... I'm not in a position to buy a new computer right now. I wonder if they charge for that?

What I would really like to do and haven't figure out how to yet is to just export my RAW Image and final processed image to somewhere and take it off my computer hard drive. I usually just pick a VSCO filter I like for the processing. I rarely do anything beyond that. Actually I never do anything beyond that. I'm just not real computer literate. Not very camera literate either.

I don't think you would get great value from CC if you only use LR.

Backups etc are fairly easy from LR and your external drive should just plug in and work with the iMac. When you import images into LR (from the card?) you can specify to copy to a second location. From File Import click on the Copy option at the top of the centre panel. Now look on the right hand panel and you will se there is a box you can tick labelled 'Make a second copy to'. Click on the little down arrow and you can now choose your external drive (and create a directory in there that you want). So now you when you import you get one copy on the iMac and a second on the external drive.

Under Lightroom / Catalog Setting you can choose how and when to backup and where that backup goes. So you could set the backup to run every time you exit and set the external drive as the location. This will save all the process information, including the VSCO ones.

Finally, there are the files you export after processing. I don't normally backup these (if they are just JPEGs for upload etc) as you can recreate them from the catalog settings and the raw files if anything goes wrong, but you could copy these to the external drive.

So once you have you external drive connected, open Finder and see if you can see it. If so, then click on the drive and create some folders on it, e.g. Catalog and Raw Files. Use these as the locations for the copy location on import and the backup location for the catalog.

Does that make any sense?

I don't think you would get great value from CC if you only use LR.

Backups etc are fairly easy from LR and your external drive should just plug in and work with the iMac. When you import images into LR (from the card?) you can specify to copy to a second location. From File Import click on the Copy option at the top of the centre panel. Now look on the right hand panel and you will se there is a box you can tick labelled 'Make a second copy to'. Click on the little down arrow and you can now choose your external drive (and create a directory in there that you want). So now you when you import you get one copy on the iMac and a second on the external drive.

Under Lightroom / Catalog Setting you can choose how and when to backup and where that backup goes. So you could set the backup to run every time you exit and set the external drive as the location. This will save all the process information, including the VSCO ones.

Finally, there are the files you export after processing. I don't normally backup these (if they are just JPEGs for upload etc) as you can recreate them from the catalog settings and the raw files if anything goes wrong, but you could copy these to the external drive.

So once you have you external drive connected, open Finder and see if you can see it. If so, then click on the drive and create some folders on it, e.g. Catalog and Raw Files. Use these as the locations for the copy location on import and the backup location for the catalog.

Does that make any sense?

Yes, I actually understand that. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- I am soon going to be an urban dweller again. I accepted a job at University of Houston. Houston looks to be really interesting photographically. They have an incredible Photo program. I won't be working in that Dept....yet.... ;) Check this out:

Facilities
The well-equipped labs and classrooms for the Photography/Digital Media area are organized in two separate suites on the second floor of the Fine Arts Building. One suite houses our digital photography and video labs, and the other, our wet photography labs and light studio.

More than 45 Macs are installed throughout the media labs and used for digital photography, video editing, and multimedia production. We have two Epson 7800s and one Epson 4900 printer in addition to 3 flatbed scanners. Computers are loaded with the Photoshop, Lightroom, Final Cut Studio and Dragonframe.

Our wet labs include two primary B&W darkrooms and individual graduate lab spaces, all outfitted with 4 x 5 enlargers, and one 8 x 10 enlarger. The color darkroom is equipped with 4 x 5 color enlargers, and a 20-inch Kreonite color processor.

PDM Students have access to all gear in our Equipment Check-Out Room. This includes medium format (6x6, 6x7) and large format film cameras (4x5, 8x10), DSLRs, laptop computers, video cameras, video projectors, light kits and tripods among other equipment.

Students working as lab monitors provide evening and weekend lab access to those enrolled in lower level courses. In addition, BFA Block and MFA students have 24-7 access to all darkrooms and studios.

Effective Fall 2012, PDM students in the major concentration will be required to supply their own laptop computers, which will be used for both course instruction and individual studio practice. A recommended computer configuration will be supplied.

Back