amazing high speed film!!!!!

I'd seen something about this guy awhile back and your right it's just amazing. I was even nervous when I saw it again.

Vic

did only use his little finger though! but still....

lol, that did cross my mind as the whether he would be brave enough for that!

A friend of my some years ago was working late in his woodshop, and he amputated a finger. He had been quite an accomplished pipe organ player.

Fatigue is a major factor. I once fed wood into a radial arm saw set up for a rip cut from the wrong side of the saw. The blade snatched the wood from my hand and hurled it across the shop. Since it was 10 at night I turned out the lights and, when I'd recovered my composure, went to bed.

Here in the states manufacturers are resisting the government safety bureau since the device would add about $100 to the cost of a table saw. Much cheaper than an emergency room visit in our wonderful health care system. But that's another story.

$100 is nothing for that level of security ...
Those things scare the crap out of me, I think you might just get me using one if it was fitted with that!

Things like this are so clever I think... I saw a program on tv about the safety measures in place for using chain saws
Anti kick back was one o them, but the most clever was the clothes they wear!
They a fully protected against chain saws where their clothes cover them... Not through armour, just layers of nylon fibre that jam the blade on contact! Genius!

$100 is nothing for that level of security ...
Those things scare the crap out of me, I think you might just get me using one if it was fitted with that!

Things like this are so clever I think... I saw a program on tv about the safety measures in place for using chain saws
Anti kick back was one o them, but the most clever was the clothes they wear!
They a fully protected against chain saws where their clothes cover them... Not through armour, just layers of nylon fibre that jam the blade on contact! Genius!

You know when you nearly hurt your self... Slip and just catch your self at the top of the stairs or something and you get that sort of split second feeling of "ooo that could have hurt" ... I wonder how it feels to get that same feeling when you nearly get your arm cut off but it's saved by a bunch of nylon ...

Here's a question regarding the kick back problem... Why don't the blades rotate in the opposite direction ... Surely that would be the easiest way to stop it happening?

A reasonable level of fear is a good thing when working with power equipment. Circular hand saws and chain saws scare me, as does my radial arm saw. I'm told that the jointer/planer is dangerous because it is relatively quiet when not cutting wood, and when cutting the rotating cylinder which carries then sharp knives is hidden by the work piece, save at the beginning and end of the cut.

BTW, the mere act of sanding many woods releases wood dust which, in the case of some species, is harmful if inhaled.

With my job I'm often lulled into a false sense of security with the legal safety features,big red emergency stop buttons and safety glass and doors.......... When in reality if one of the quarter tonne jobs where to work itself free spinning at 300 rpm, I would have no chance to press the E-stop if I did it would have little effect.... And the safety doors wouldn't do much but act as a tennis racket against my body...... I would be dead or maimed easily. The main safety feature that will save your life in working conditions like that is yourself, four years of training and a competence where you just can't make those mistakes is the safest thing.

Unfortunately Joe blogs can buy a chainsaw from their department store hey presto no leg!!!! It's all about knowing your tools,concentration and competence.

As for kick back Hamish, most loggers use both sides of the saw under cutting and cutting on the top of the job so reversing the blade would have no effect. The worst type of kick back often occurs when the "kick back zone" located on the top quarter of the end radius makes contact, when cutting horizontally the saw will kick back out and to the right if reversed the kick back zone will be at the bottom resulting in the saw kicking left and inwards..... Hard to explain.... If you view this clip you will see if reversed he would just chop his leg off!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xodIuufaQ

Vertical kick back is much worse and pretty fatal as I flicks up and over the head this mainly occurs when the kickback zone makes contact with an obstruction the operator hasnt seen....... If your trained and competent you would check.!!!

Few!!! Any how I thaught thus was a photography forum ?!?!?!? :)

Thomas brookes -

Love the horse gas mask! But does it help against kickback?

I'd guess that many of our members have other interests than photography, including dangerous machinery.

A "funny" story, courtesy of my father (1914-1987), a PhD chemical engineer. He spoke of a friend who bought one of the early power circular hand saws, commonly known then and now as "skilsaws" from one of the earlier makers. He essayed a cross cut, there was a kickback. Looking down he saw a cut through his pant leg, BUT, mirabule dictu, NOT into his leg!. He pulled the plug, set the saw aside forever.

Perhaps that saw didn't have the current spring loaded blade guard. I'm sure they help but don't trust them!

Another personal story, more contemporary. Several years ago I arrived at the house of my then lady-friend, a well-educated and most capable woman of about 53. She was in the garage about to cut with a "skilsaw" a 2 x 6 or whatever supported by a director's chair. The cut would have been BETWEEN the arms of the chair, almost guaranteeing a kickback.

I said nothing but immediately pulled the plug on the saw. She said, "What the H*** are you doing?" When I explained the risk she was mollified. This lovely, sexy, desireable woman might have been horribly maimed. (BTW our relationship expired, but at least not because of this!) Like many of us she'd relied on print media or the internet or whatever (having little access to real world experience or users) for DIY info.

My point is this: Most of us do many other things beyond photography. We are, I hope, are aware of the very real risks of some of our "soups" - any mercury compounds? Eh? Just a bit of Metol for you? - but when the opportunity arises we should pass on our knowledge of perils not easily known, save by experience.

Any one else have a car almost fall off a shoddy jackstand? Best have a friend nearby!

Indeed George, I enjoyed that.

Hamish promise you will call me if your considering some chainsaw fun!!!

My worst industrial accident happend in my first year at college during my 4 year engineering apperntiship. I was operating a parallel grinder, a very strong magnetic table on which the job would be held on and a grinding wheel of a fine stone composite spinning at about 2500 rpm above it. very silent and spinning that fast gives the illusion it's stationary.
To ensure I had maximum contact on the magnetic table I cleaned it off with a rag. Walked to my locker to grab a micrometer then realised it was break time, off I went walking out the doors to have a ciggerette only to hear my 2 instructors and 3 other fellow pupils running and shouting at me " tom tom your finger " as I looked at my right hand I had a perfect 90 degree angle cut across the knuckles of my index and middle finger to the bone bleeding perfusly.
As I cleaned the table my knuckles had swiped the grinding wheel, being an abrasive it completely quaterizing the the nerve endings in the cut...... I couldn't feel a thing very odd sensation..... As for my instructors...... One of them had spotted the blood drops on the floor and chased the blood splatter around the machine shop to my locker then through the college corridors to find me!!!

Lesson learnt..... The hard way!!!

Thomas, Hamish, et al:

It is amazing! Work place hazards unimagined!

Surely a potter must have little to fear other than the kiln at 2500F? Not so! Consider the wheel. Revolving with its burden of clay, fine particles and grit. Cool, wet...

The potter shapes graceful forms, but not quite right. Push the the clay down, then pull up, fingers and thumbs at work. The grit abrades skin, without much sensation, coolness prevails. Perhaps the sudden red hue on the nascent form is the first warning.

Much more common than one might imagine.

From my own professional experience. I worked 40 years as a librarian; a profession one might imagine risking only intellectual abuse, danger or risk. Not so.

We were moving the book collection into a new building. The shelf units were about 7 feet tall, freestanding metal standards bolted together on 3 foot modules, shelves on both front and back, each "range" roughly 48 feet long - 3 by 16 modules, each range about 3 feet apart for user access.

As we administrators watched we noted that all was not well. The left most range needed to be moved further from its neighbor. The word went out.

However. The hired help started to unload the shelves from the BOTTOM up, the opposing face empty. At some point, unanticipated by us "professionals" the range became overbalanced.

I watched in horror and fascination as a "wave" of the left-most range of shelves gracefully dumped its hundreds of books against its neighbor shelves, and they in turn....

No one was hurt. The accumulated weight of knowledge came to rest on the floor, in approximate order. I can only imagine had the library been open to the public. How many children might have been injured.

In the next few days I myself bolted 1 x 3 scantlings between the ranges in anticipation of the proper steel L section stay braces. What one isn't taught in graduate school.

Back