An Art/Photography/History/Research project.

Morris Wild

The Coreco Automatic Color Camera, Model 300

005.jpg

To cut a long story short (or at least shorter);

- A few weeks ago I found an interesting case in a skip in South East London.

- It contained an old photographic instrument called the ‘Coreco Automatic Color Camera, Model 300’. There is very little to be found on the internet about this device.

- Through some research I have found that the camera was produced in the 1940s with the purpose of taking fully automatic close-up medical photographs.

- By playing around with it I think I understand how the camera functions. It uses a novel automatic system to control the variables that affect an exposure.

- The variables are controlled physically, by the proportions of a variety of attachments. Each has a different purpose/intended subject.

- The attachments included in the case I found are intended for various special applications, notably photographing the interior of the vagina.

025 - Copy.jpg

- I am intrigued by the mechanics of this camera and have decided I want to get it to function again.

- I have identified a number of problems which I think are preventing the camera from operating there may be more that well come up along the way.

- If I can get the camera to operate I think that there is a lot of scope for experimentation in the automatic mechanism. It has such a specific function, I would like to see if It can be subverted for interesting results. The idea of making beautiful images from such a clinical, scientific instrument appeals to me.

You can read a full write up on what I know about the camera on my blog here:

MWMWMW -day-i-found-a

I have documented the device photographically in this set on my flickr account which you can see here:

Coreco automatic color camera, model 300 - a set on Flickr

Each image is annotated, If you are interested enough please read through it, this should get you up to speed with how in my opinion the camera functions.

I have a basic knowledge of photography and no experience in Camera repair however I think in essence this camera is a simple device. The three main issues I see with this Camera are these:

1. The Integral lighting system is mains powered, and runs via a transformer from an American style plug. There may be issues with incompatible Voltage/Current, I have no real knowledge of electronics. Regardless of this the wiring is more then 70 years old and may need replacing.

2. The bulbs are all blown; replacements may be difficult to source.

3. The shutter winding system seems to be jammed

So, what advice can you give me?

I will be documenting my progress with the camera on my blog:
MWMWMW

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 39
Hi Morris - and welcome to RPF

great set of images for this camera on your Flickr feed - and an interesting task you've given yourself.

I see the Museum of Vision has one as well - Museum of Vision: Collection Objects

Also - The Coreco-Bucky Automatic Color Camera for rapid recording of operations and other clinical subjects was described in Photographic Age (April 1949). It uses a disk-like shutter and synchronized flash illumination.

Might be able to find a copy of that publication for a first hand review of the unit?

One for sale on EBAY Vintage Camera Coreco Bucky Gustav Model 300 Medical Vision Dental Accessories | eBay

$550 - so your find was a steal!

$(KGrHqZ,!pQF!GIrHw4hBQIFQTzLrg~~60_57.JPG

That bulb is going to be a real challenge - did a quick search and came up with zip

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to look into it, I have seen the Museum of Vision page, not very informative and the images are very small, but I intend to get in touch with them and see if they are able to provide any further assistance.

I can’t find anything about the ‘Photographic Age’ magazine; do you know any more about this? I do have a copy of an advert from ‘Science’ magazine which has been very interesting.

Yes I have seen the one on ebay, it has dental attachments, its interesting to see some of the other attachments that could come with it. I contacted the seller but they don’t know any more than I do. I don’t think these come round too often, but however rare it might be I don’t think there is much of a market for it so they well be unlikely to get $550

I have posted about this in another forum; http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/forum/messages/2/25615.html?1351614659
and am hearing positive things in terms of the bulbs so hopefully that isn’t going to be too much trouble.

Thanks for your interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew Pete would have a contact! :)

Back