Another Multiple Self-portrait. Taken With Mobile Phone, Inspired By Salvador Dali.

Graeme Harvey

how many.jpg Well, I don't care how pretentious this might be. I was at the Dali museum and saw a painting that totally blew me away. As many of you know, I try to doctor photos to make them look impossible but natural at the same time. I know it's not to everyone's taste but it provides me with a lot of fun and gives me the opportunity to think through and create something that is a different way of looking at reality. They say the camera never lies, and of course it does: it creates a scene, a mood, an image that may or may not be an accurate depiction of what is going on. With our old-fashioned darkroom, or lightroom techniques, we can now distort reality in ways that are exciting, fun, but especially creative. Follow the link for the inspirational Dali painting.

http://www.salvador-dali.org/media/IMATGES/i0094.jpg

At first glance it's a painting of a painter painting a girl in a mirror. Then you see the reflection of Dali in the mirror. Then you notice that he's actually painted himself both from behind and in the mirror! I stood and looked at this seemingly simple picture for ages, marvelling at the creativity of it, and thinking "That's the same mindset as my multiple self portraits - to all intents and purposes, it's a natural picture, but there's no way you can actually do this."

So, here's my attempt at the Grez version. The phone's not good, the lighting is awful, but the composition is what I've gone for - me capturing me doing what I do from various angles without actually resorting to photo manipulation (except for the border!).

So, let me know what you think.

Back