Anyone Know This Chap?

Brian Moore

I found him trapped inside an old Czech camera...a Pionyr...which I was considering purchasing from a seller of antiquarian books in the town of Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic. The Pionyr was a bakelite camera. I did not buy it because the shutter was frozen solid. (Though I did purchase there an old Voigtlander roll film camera--pre-Bessa I think.)

Anyway, whilst inspecting the Pionyr I saw through the little red window in the back that there was still film in the camera. Given that the sellers disavowed any knowledge of the camera's source, it's condition or how it worked, I felt quite comfortable in the assumption that they would not know the film existed within it, and there was every likelihood that whatever images may exist on the roll would be doomed to destruction at the hands of whatever hairy-knuckled troglodyte was destined to come upon it after me. So I freed this fellow (as well as a toddler and a granny and a little black dog) from his bakelite coffin and now he lives again.

I hope you will agree that my actions were justified. I believe there is a Group in Flickr for "Found Film." I may post his picture there.

By the way, the film was Fuji G100. Below are the remaining images from the roll.

What a wonderful find Brian and I think you are fully justified in releasing the gentleman and his family. The pictures appear to have been taken over a period of a couple of months or so based on he flowers in bloom and he is wearing a Czech police uniform. I have never been to Kutna Hora but have worked on limestone from there! Blanka will know it well though.

Excellent intentions Brian. I wonder if it would be worth sending a pic to the local paper where the camera came from and see if they would print it as the long lost film.
I have come across one or two films but felt uneasy about getting them developed not knowing the content, Going by these I aught to have.

What a wonderful find Brian and I think you are fully justified in releasing the gentleman and his family. The pictures appear to have been taken over a period of a couple of months or so based on he flowers in bloom and he is wearing a Czech police uniform. I have never been to Kutna Hora but have worked on limestone from there! Blanka will know it well though.
Spring do you think, Pete? Or Summer? I'm guessing mid-to-late 1990s based on the look of the cell phone the young policeman wears on his belt. Perhaps he has just graduated from the local police academy; his pose has that look about it I think.

Kutna Hora is worth a visit if you ever get a chance, Pete. The Bone Church is in Sedlec, which is described as a suburb of KH. The main train station is there and its just a short walk from the station to the ossuary. There also happens to be a medieval cathedral in Sedlec, and another in KH proper. It's worth visiting all three sites. There are plenty of restaurants to grab a beer in, too. (They also serve food.;))

Excellent intentions Brian. I wonder if it would be worth sending a pic to the local paper where the camera came from and see if they would print it as the long lost film.
I have come across one or two films but felt uneasy about getting them developed not knowing the content, Going by these I aught to have.
That's a good idea, Julian. Thanks.

As to developing found film I don't share your concerns. I figure someone has captured a moment of light that will never be seen again unless that film is processed. It's a tiny particle of the historical record, and that to me is very valuable. I do understand your point of view, though. Thanks again Julian.

Interesting find but the real star of the show is the dog who is obviously asking "Does my tail make my bum look big?"
I don't think that dog should have any worries about its posterior. Thanks for the comments Paul.

Wonderful shots, and a great find. The cacti are to die for - superb.
Thanks Rob. Very nice cacti right enough!

Absolutely fascinating Brian. Lots of things here remind me of my own youth; the concrete tank (my favourite image) to collect the water from the roof and the use being made of the old baths. I built a similar concrete tank to our house in Mayo to preserve the rainwater.
Given the circumstances you outlined I have no problem with your actions. If there was a Czech photography website or forum in existence maybe you could post them there, could be very interesting.
The colours and deffects do give off a Holga feel.

Absolutely fascinating Brian. Lots of things here remind me of my own youth; the concrete tank (my favourite image) to collect the water from the roof and the use being made of the old baths. I built a similar concrete tank to our house in Mayo to preserve the rainwater.
Given the circumstances you outlined I have no problem with your actions. If there was a Czech photography website or forum in existence maybe you could post them there, could be very interesting.
The colours and deffects do give off a Holga feel.
Thanks a lot, Tom. That's a good idea about a Czech photo forum. I'll look into that. As to the Holga look, I was actually quite surprised by the quality of the images. The sharp ones are sharper than I would have expected. Anyway, thanks again, Tom!

That's a good idea, Julian. Thanks.

As to developing found film I don't share your concerns. I figure someone has captured a moment of light that will never be seen again unless that film is processed. It's a tiny particle of the historical record, and that to me is very valuable. I do understand your point of view, though. Thanks again Julian.

I don't think that dog should have any worries about its posterior. Thanks for the comments Paul.

Thanks Rob. Very nice cacti right enough!
Thanks a lot, Tom. That's a good idea about a Czech photo forum. I'll look into that. As to the Holga look, I was actually quite surprised by the quality of the images. The sharp ones are sharper than I would have expected. Anyway, thanks again, Tom!
You're not suggesting Brian that the Holga gives poor quality images;)

Back