Critique Welcomed At the Circus

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
As a special Easter treat, we took the grandkids to a Circus today in Vista CA - Circus Vargas was in town, and put on a superb 2 hr show of acrobatics, magic and clowning around.

Circus Vargas Welcomes you!

Well worth a visit if they're ever in a town near you - the whole thing was very well done, and thoughly entertaining for kids of all ages :)

Here are a few shots from the proceedings, all taken with the X-Pro1 and 35mm Lens - lighting was mixed at best, and F-dark at worst, so I was pleased to be able to get something out of it.

8603869221_ec66c683cc_c.jpg

Welcome to Magikaria

8604971564_129d08d514_b.jpg

The Ringmaster addresses the crowd

8603869507_473fd5e0e9_b.jpg

High Wire

8604972102_3e2ceaac4f_b.jpg

Silks

8603869909_769e87f759_b.jpg

Magikaria

8603870061_62b9b32188_b.jpg

Those spears will go right through her!

I used Auto ISO for these shots, and ended up mostly using manual settings for shutter speed around 1/250 to try and keep the action sharp, and f/2.8 - f/2 to give me at least some DOF.

The Circus encouraged photography without flash - so I was good to go.

wow there amazing images, quality is unbelievable.........love them all Chris

Looks like you was working for them with these shots :)

Daz

Thanks chaps :)

It was a fairly small ring, and we'd bagged front row seats online so that grandkids could get a good view (and not because papa wanted to take photos - honest!)

I'd only taken the one lens with me, so it was good luck that everything was within a nice range for the shots.

Before I went I was weighing up the 35mm vs the 18mm, and nearly went with the wide. I made the final choice more on the speed of the 35mm, as I knew it might be F-dark.

Rob - the costumes were hilariously camp - although the illusion of lots of skin was just that - in the same way that ice skaters have their costumes made, the 'bare skin' areas were really just skin colored fabric - got to keep it safe for the kids to watch!

I was very impressed with the organizers in that they encouraged photos and video as long as no bright lights or flash were used - they strongly suggested sharing the shots on Facebook etc - I guess they know that it brings more punters :)

Darren - the Fuji does produce stunning IQ at high ISO as you know - certainly out-guns my Canon by a mile in this respect - I did apply a little NIK magic to them, including some Dfine for final noise reduction - and this does leave the already good images even cleaner.

Dfine is a filter that I don't often use, but love it when I need it.

Pete - after watching the performers scaling the ladders for a trapeze act - I'm happy to stay on Terra firma - in fact the firma the better.....

I'll get my top hat and tails..... :D

its also nice to see you captured the obligatory shot of the sexy circus ladies with not alot on..........hahah

Daz

these are amazing. seriously was expecting a head on shot of the clown who sold you popcorn and some crap birds eye shots. really amazed that you did this with the 35mm and not the 60mm. 1, 3, 4 and 5 were my favorites, i can't narrow it down any more than that.

For sure, they give me the feeling you were on the red carpet, Chris. Beautiful set! :)

Back