Autumn Leaf Detail

Last weekend we collected a load of different leaves to photograph. I was traveling all week and so this is the first chance I've had to play with them. Here's one the shots from today. Not quite what I'm after but getting there.

Leaves-1_zps3c38640a.jpg

Here is the lighting setup etc. Two 3K heads powered by a 3K Asymmetric generator (250K : 500k L:R) fitted with honeycomb boxes. Black background with lights illuminating just to the rear of the leaf.

Leaves-2_zpsa2ffea20.jpg

Hasselblad 503CW / Zeiss 120mm Macro Planar f1:4.0 CFi + 56 mm extension tube / PhaseOne P20 back. ISO 50, 1/30s at f1:11. PP in CaptureOne, LR, Nik ColorFX 4.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. My aim was to get a glowing leaf against a black background. However, the leaves have dried too much and I'm getting too much edge brightness. I'll try re-wetting them in the week.

Thanks Glenn. There are two. The one on the left is a leather top hat I bought 2 years ago in Vienna (bought from this chap!) whereas the one on the right belonged to Ina's grandfather (http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/ina-in-a-top-hat.4412/).

Nice - leaf and set-up! :)

Has a slightly leathery look with the brown color.

If you're looking to 'wet' the leaves Pete - try a glycerin/water solution rather than just water

Love it Pete!
I do like to seeing your set ups with the shots.

Back