Back Into Film...

Aaron Quinn

Thanks to a recent gift from my Grand Father, this forum and some other info gathered from around the inter-tubes, I starting going through all my old film cameras and came across the following.

I found about 10 rolls of old film (color neg, color slide and B&W neg). I have not shot film since at least '01 so these rolls well over 10 years old and without the box to know the exact expiration date. I figured I'd just shoot them and see what happens.
10922787683_e001e05135_n.jpg

Here are a couple of the film cameras I have that I figured would be a good start.

I can't recall when or where I found this little Oly PEN-EE half frame but it's kind of run to carry around and shoot with
10922060944_33c3910326.jpg

This is the Nikon FM I used in High School back in the late 80's for Photography class. I put an old 50mm f1.4 on it.
10921984706_25bfd8e1f3.jpg

I received this Canon QL Pellix with a Canon 50mm f1.4 and some accessories from my Grand Father just about 2 months ago (part of what started my quest BACK into film). He served in the US Navy (Retired) and purchased the camera new in Japan back in the mid 60's. He is now in his early 90's and is (sadly) starting to part out his belongings to those he feels will enjoy them most. He can't recall the last time he used it.
10922184903_5f0b40f969.jpg

This nice Minolta SR-7 was given to me by a family friend (original owner I was told) sometime back in the early 90's. I have never put a roll through it and was told it was lightly used. The Rokkor 58mm f1.4 may have some fungus in it. Can't recall if I noticed that when it was given to me, so I feel bad I may have caused that with improper storage. Not sure.
10922201953_400d520489.jpg

As we all know, it'll take some time to get the pictures taken, film developed and scanned and then share them. So...pictures to come in the not so sure when future! That is if they are worth sharing...

Last edited:
Aaron?! How have you had these stowed away for so long?! Lol
Good luck, hope it all comes back.... Nice collection too :)

What a cool bundle! Photos can decieve, but even so these all look in very good nik. I had a Pellix for a while. I shouldn't have sold it.

Aaron?! How have you had these stowed away for so long?! Lol
Good luck, hope it all comes back.... Nice collection too :)

I know... No excuses but for most of the 90's I was out and about serving in the US Air Force and wasn't able to get into my stash and when I returned to the states digital was the "new" thing and I ran with it! Luckily I just kept my stash in place and didn't part it out like I thought about doing several times in the early 2000's. I still have quite a bit more but these are the ones that brought it back for me, especially the Canon my grand father gave me a couple months ago. Really got me thinking about film again.

That's a great collection!
I've been watching you pen ee series on eBay for a while now, haven't yet taken the plunge but I suspect I will!

You may know this already, but thought it worth mentioning ... The lens you have on the Nikon is a pre-ai. This means that it doesn't have a 'meter coupling ridge'. Because of this you need to fold the meter couple lever on the camera out of the way and use the 'stop down metering' method to meter ... Page 26 in the book for more:

http://www.cameramanuals.org/nikon_pdf/nikon_fm.pdf

Great camera the FM ... My fist fully manual slr! I now use the later fm3a, but was saying to someone just the other day that my comfort with it as a camera must hark back to the enjoyment the fm gave me!

Fantastic info! I knew about folding the tab out of the way but not the exact procedure for the metering, thanks for the link. This is not the lens I used with it in high school, no clue where that one is now... I'll have to look for a more appropriate lens for it.

I so love the mechanical side of this hobby, now on to getting better at the creation side of it!

sweet collection - as others have said, they look minty

looking forward to seeing the output

Back