Bencini Comet S and Efke 100

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I decided to have a bit of a day shooting and processing photos from my Bencini Comet S
The Bencini Comet S is a 127 roll film camera from the very early 1950's
It is about as simple a camera as they come, 1/50th of a second or bulb are the only shutter speeds, f11 the only aperture!

It takes 4x3 half frame photos on 127 film, but since there doesnt seem to be half frame markings on the backing of the Efke 100 film I only managed to get 8 shots instead of the possible 16!

Ive never used 127 film before, and in fact until a few weeks back I didnt know it was still available!
I bought some from "photo supplies UK" (more here http://www.realphotographersforum.com/content/574-source-127-film-uk.html)

Here is the camera (photos taken with canon 30d & asahi smc takumar 55mm 1.8)

Tiny little view finder that according to my photos doesnt cover the whole FOV of the lens
The shutter button is the tall thin one, the winder the big knob on the left

_MG_4517.jpg

2 windows on the back, not sure why ... but i do wonder if I had lined up the number in the first window, taken a shot, then lined it up in the second window and taken a shot that might have gotten me the 16 shots??

_MG_4518.jpg

The lever on the side of the lens sets it to bulb if pulled out

_MG_4519.jpg

Each side sports a fairly over engineered for the size of the camera strap loop

_MG_4520.jpg

And Here are the photos ... 2 didnt come out, too dark ... oops
In fact they are all a little underexposed ... winter light is darker than I thought :)
Developed in ilfosol 3 for 8 mins
I have bumped the contrast a little, but not much... And really only to a point that they look as they appear to be on the negs...
The scanner seems to sap the contrast when scanning in the required unconventional way...
scanned by selotaping them to the glass of my scanner, Ive included the edge of the frame to the point that you can see the frame count in places ...

img044.jpg

img039.jpg

img040.jpg

img041.jpg

img042.jpg

img043.jpg

All in all, a very pleasing way to spend a new years day!

**** the bed Hammer!
You didn't mess around getting these done did you?!?!
Well done mate, great effort, great compo on the shots!
Such a vintage feel to them. I quite like the exposure as they are. all in all, I'm impressed :)

Question....

As you know that I'll eventually get on the Bencini case....
If I was to use bulb, in lower light conditions, then I would need a tripod really wouldn't I ?
Silly question I know.... but It must be quite difficult on bulb, and to get a fairly decent shot hand held..

Nigh on impossible
If you want to take low light shots the best advice I can think of is to use a different camera
Broad daylight is really the only practical use for this camera ... And as you can see, brighter broad daylight than a uk winter one!

Not sure ... Shody processing is possibly a part of it!
I'm not sure I'm that great at it, my lack of any real experience means I don't really know what to expect or how to do anything better than I currently am doing it...
There is some dust im sure, my handling of the nega isnt great, especially when they need to be taped to the flatbed glass

Seems too many to be dust.
Oh oh. Looks like The Dust police are back on the job for the new year. (Wicked wicked people, The Dust Police!):p

Great shots Hamish! I like all of them but I especially like the first one for its very very vintage look. It's like something you might see in a book of photographic history. Like an 1850s image or something.

Dust? I thought it was snowing in Worcester! :D :D :D

What a cracking looking camera Hamish - Looks super vintage in your shots

I bet you're on the right trail with the rear windows - seem to remember seeing a single window on my Brownie.

The lack of adjustments is a bit of a challenge then!

You clearly need Californian sun to use this camera - I'll happily test it for you if you mail it over ;)

Sharpness looks pretty good

I'm not sure how much is crap processing and how much is down to old camera that makes the shots look so old ... ?
Anyone got any thoughts on what might cause the speckled look?

The lack o adjustments isnt really a challenge, it just limits your options... It's quite good fun actually, makes you think a bit more just about framing!
Annoyingly its a beautiful sunny day here today!

I'm actually planning a trip to the US later this year Chris ... Although its going to be Colarado, specifically Denver ... September hopefully... I'm told to expect pretty hot weather! Maybe I'll take it along, save me sending it to you ;)

My guess is deposits from the developer either from particles in the water or because something has precipitated. Years ago I borrowed a photographic club darkroom for an evening and got similar spots which I traced back to poor quality water in their darkroom. Maybe a cheap water filter would help. I'll have a look what's lying around at IMSL.

Its strange isnt it, With the constant pursuit to make hardware capable of better and better resolution some low resolution images with all their flaws (speckles) seem like such a refreshing change. I often find these kinds of images much more interesting that super clear, clean images.

We are supposed I have good water here ...
Ive just finished a roll of FP4 from the blad ... I'll see how that comes out ...

Looks like fun Pete!

I know what you mean too paul...
But if it's going to happen it want it to happen because I chose it too, not because I'm just a bit **** at home deving :)

I have a bencini comet in my arsenal ! surprised these shots came out of it! as regards developing - can you get away with 127 on 120 spools?

No its a completely different size
120 on the left
18c873bd.jpg

that said my Paterson spirals do 35mm, 127 and 120 just by clicking them in and out ...

oh right - do you have your own darkroom at home then or do you use a dark-bag?

and then do you use a film scanner or something?

Back