Blog Update: The Impossible Art of Flower Photography

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
In flower photography, I am a novice. There seem to be two quite distinct approaches, each with its merits. On the one hand there is the desire to capture the flower exactly as it looks, either in situ or in studio. In this art, the quality of camera and lens becomes paramount – and it can be an expensive route to follow. There are many stunning pictures online and in galleries of such an approach, and I can imagine (doubtless frustrations aside) a zen-like absorption in the pursuit of the perfect image could be deeply fulfilling.

On the other hand, if absolute fidelity to the likeness of the image is of less importance than the notion of a flower within a different visual aesthetic, then even the cheapest Holga could be the camera of the moment.

My own flower experiments flit between both worlds, in a vain attempt to reach the impossible.

LINK​

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, Paul. Much of what I do is mildly experimental. And then something comes along, an idea, and I know exactly what to do - as in the "Yellow Flower With Copper Pipe" image above, and all that weird stuff just starts making sense. I'm sure it's the same in your work.

Cheers, Paul. Much of what I do is mildly experimental. And then something comes along, an idea, and I know exactly what to do - as in the "Yellow Flower With Copper Pipe" image above, and all that weird stuff just starts making sense. I'm sure it's the same in your work.
"mildly" ???????

Back