Deterioration Of Impossible Film

Brian Moore

Yesterday I noticed that the photo I had taken several days ago and posted here
http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/sadie-by-spectra-silver-shade-cool.14966/
had begun to deteriorate. This was Successful Image #2 out of the Spectra, using Impossible Project's PZ 600 Silver Shade Cool. (I had posted Successful Image #1 in one of Rob's forum entries.)

Below is Successful Image #2 scanned within an hour after taking the shot.

And below is Successful Image #2 scanned a few minutes ago, some 4 days after I took the shot.

Comparing the two images the deterioration is most clear toward the top of the frame. In the first scan there is detail in the door; in the 2nd scan,...no detail in the door.

I was aware that some IP emulsions suffered from deterioration over time. I've read that it may be caused by moisture trapped in the emulsion. I think I will contact IP and ask if there is any way to salvage the image. (I doubt that there is, but I think I will lose the picture completely if I don't try something.)

By the way, Successful Image #1 also shows deterioration, although it isn't quite as obvious.

One came with the 10"x8" film but, as I haven't used it yet, I didn't investigate.
Oh good.

Wish I'd known about the Dry Age Kits before. (I had seen them mentioned but I thought it was one of these gimmiky photo manipulation type accessories. Why they don't recommend it on their site where the film is for sale is beyond me.) Anyway, Pete, not knowing that you already possessed an 8x10 Dry Age Kit I sent you a link to one via PM earlier. You can just discard that now.

Thanks Brian, I saw them. I've just checked and a dry age kit is added to the order automatically for free when you order the 10"x8" film from Impossible directly, but not the 600 film..
Good. (A few damaged Spectra images are much more palatable I'm sure than a damaged 8x10.)

Man, that's some rapid aging!

That's terrible. Sorry to read this thread, Brian. I hope you can save it. You have just sent me looking for Rhona's flowers shot using the Impossible colour film, PX680. We've kept it in an empty shoe box, and I can see no deterioration at all, but I'll keep an eye on it.

That's terrible. Sorry to read this thread, Brian. I hope you can save it. You have just sent me looking for Rhona's flowers shot using the Impossible colour film, PX680. We've kept it in an empty shoe box, and I can see no deterioration at all, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks, Rob. I believe the color films may suffer less, or even not at all, from this affliction.

What a shame Brian. Do you know what caused it?
Thanks @Paul Lange. Apparently it is caused by moisture trapped under the protective top layer of the image. Some people recommend actually cutting into the picture from the sides to allow for evaporation. But I can't do that to my picture so, as I mentioned to Chris, the picture is currently sealed inside a Tupperware bowl with rice that I hope will absorb the moisture. (It's Basmati rice,...nothing but the best for oor Sadie.;))

too bad about the deterioration. i like how sadie looks like a ghost in the first.
Thanks, @Beth Anthony. I'm glad I scanned the image right away. However, what saddens me most about it is that the original picture had the most lovely silvery quality about it. The scan doesn't do it justice. I was thinking about framing it. A little of that quality remains, but it's not like it was.

Back