Blog Update: The Journey

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
I've updated my personal photography blog with an entry called The Journey:

http://imagesrm.com/2013/10/29/the-journey/

"Some of my clearest childhood memories are train journeys. It was a rare thing, as most working class people travelled less often in those days – the 1960s – and for our family it was a major event involving great organisation, planning, and general fussing and yelling from parents. I was born in Dundee, Scotland, but for a few years I attended Primary School in Manchester, England. The train journey I remember most was the return to Dundee when work for my father had dried up. There was a feeling of returning for good…I had forgotten what Dundee looked like, and although I was told we were “going home”, I had no idea what was in store. The journey home is still in progress…"

Many of you will have seen the images before...

I do like these Rob an I think the balance is about right (certainly in this case). It adds context and meaning to the images and leaves them more story to tell. Otherwise there is a danger of it becoming an illustrated essay.

And a salient thread as I am on route to Dresden. By train. But, the train from Hamburg to Bratislava (I do like these evocative place names on the routes through Berlin) has been cancelled due to the storms. So I am killing time in the DB lounge at Berlin main rain station waiting for the next train (at 14:46 local time) and using up there WiFi (and my laptop battery - there's probably a socket here somewhere if I look). From Dresden it will be 4 hours by car then to Telč in the Czech Republic with a colleague. The joy of travel!

http://www.realphotographersforum.com/forum/threads/from-the-lounge.14528/

Last edited:
i like that a lot Rob. travel is a weird one for me in that similar to yourself i was born in Dundee but moved to Skelmersdale for the same reason you seemed to move to manchester so had that going home tale when i was 7 without knowing what home was like, I was a scouser so Dundee wasn't my home.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with travel in that i gave up international dj'ing due to hating waiting in airports yet if i have no deadline to make I love travelling and wandering

I commented on the blog, Rob. Suffice to say here that you've posted some wonderful images of the journey and they are so evocative of what a memory from childhood might seem like to the mind's eye.

Thank you, gents. Glad it resonated with you, @Davie Hudson. I hate travelling too, in fact I can't get off this island - but that's another story.

@Brian Moore - thanks, Brian. I always revert to childhood memories when travelling. What would Freud say???

@Pete Askew - thanks for your thoughts, Pete. I felt there was just enough text, but I've had a couple of non-photographer friends say they wish there was more text and context. I guess we are used to reading images, while they might not be. I'll give it more thought.

Back