The DNA of Travel

I have been reprocessing a whole load of older images in preparation for a digital display at a local art exhibition and so I thought I'd inflict some of them on you! Some of the images in the series have been posted here before, but never the complete sets.

The first series are images taken through a dirty train window on a journey from Berlin to Prague back in 2013. Most of the images are taken on the leg of the journey from Dresden to Prague where the tracks run alongside the river Elba. I like that you ended up with images with just small elements revealed crisply which reflects the way certain objects grab your attention for a moment as you flash past them on such journeys. The title comes from pictures taken of birch trees on another journey as the pattern they left reminded me of a DNA gel and it seemed somehow an appropriate metaphor.

52 DNA.jpg53 DNA.jpg54 DNA.jpg55 DNA.jpg56 DNA.jpg57 DNA.jpg58 DNA.jpg59 DNA.jpg60 DNA.jpg61 DNA.jpg

No need to worry about dust on your sensor in these images, Pete! ;)

Its an interesting concept and you really get the sense of "snapshots" (which implies static), and yet movement, too. And of course you've achieved a method of combining that apparent contradiction. I like the birch trees very much indeed. Good luck with the exhibition, Pete.

Thanks, Brian. Unfortunately I won't get to see it myself as I'm in the wrong country. A friend is exhibiting on the same platform (the 65" 4K TV from work on a floor stand hooked up to a media player) and hopefully all will go as planned.

Back