Songs of the Black Light

Oh, believe me, I was not blaming the librarian, rather the digital information corporations that in the US and UK are taking control of academic libraries. I am delighted to hear that you are fighting back against them, and I hope you succeed in the long term. Open access of knowledge is essential for any healthy society.

I worked in a university library for six months about 15 years ago, and got an insight into the way the wind was blowing. But one day we had a staff trip to the library of the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens. The treasures they have! I can imagine how much you love such an environment, Gianluca.

My wife is a leading academic in her field, but these days she has to sign up for evening classes in subjects she has no interest in, just to get access to the digital library. That is not the fault of the librarians. The root of it is digital information being the new oil. Money, money, money.

I apologise for not being clear enough in my previous post, Gianluca. Best wishes to your team!

Rob, have you ever read any of Dorothy Sayer's novels?

I know very little about poetry - forgive me if I'm committing a literary faux pas - but your style somewhat reminds me of some poems involved in her writing.
The one that came to mind was in Gaudy Night, where it was composed by Harriet Vane and later completed by her lover Lord Peter Wimsey...

DSC03748_01.jpg

We have ‘Gaudy Nights’ in the house, and my wife occasionally recommends I read it, but I’ve never got around to it. That’s an interesting passage, someone attempting poetry. I don’t worry about octaves, and my rhythm is that of a musician, I guess. Thanks for the excerpt. I might eventually get around to reading the book!

I can’t think of what poetic influences I might have. I went to a Roman Catholic school, and was taught English by a nun. It was maybe inadvisable for me inform her I did not believe in God…She would take my essays or creative writing attempts, and in front of the whole class without reading, would score her red pen through it and declare, “That’s what God thinks of atheists!” She often gave me the belt, always saying “This hurts me more than it hurts you”, and I can only hope she was telling the truth. I went on to fail English O Level, which scars me to this day. So, I’m very diffident about saying I write poetry. It’s hard work, but having an image to push me helps a lot.

So, I’m very diffident about saying I write poetry. It’s hard work, but having an image to push me helps a lot.
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles in school... Shaking my head as I write this - at the establishment, I hasten to add!

I hope I can say this without disturbing anyone - I'm not an atheist yet completely respect those who are.
That might sound weird to some - but I firmly believe that we all have the absolute right to view the world as we choose, as long as one abides by basic human standards (i.e. no murders etc.!)

I'm not a Catholic either, I might add - in fact I dislike most of the trappings and 'general clutter' that's built up in most religions - to the point that I don't have one. I just have a few firm beliefs that I keep fairly quiet about.

Anyway, not intending to get philosophical - I'm impressed with your writing Rob, even more so given your beginnings!

Back