Bonjour From Sunny London!

Shane Johns

Ok, I slightly post processed the weather here....we've actually had sheet lightning, thunder and torrential rain for the past hour!

I was very kindly invited to join RPF by Chris (Dodkin). We got chatting via email a couple of weeks ago and I asked his opinion and advice on the Fuji X-Pro 1. Chris was incredibly helpful and his reassurance tipped me over the scales to buy the X-Pro 1.

I've been into photography for only 4 years now. My first camera was an old Nikon D40 and I used it to learn about exposure. I bought a 40 year-old AIS Nikkor to practise setting the shutter speed, aperture and focus manually, and this really helped me (I'm still learning, of course!).

I then upgraded to a Nikon D90, probably one of the best cameras Nikon has ever made. I used it for 3 years before buying my first full frame this summer, a Nikon D600. I have to say, it's a fantastic camera, but I just felt that something was missing. In the past I had never wanted to get a mirrorless camera because I just didn't think the image quality, low light performance and dynamic range could get near a good APS-C camera, let alone FF. Then I read about the Fuji X-Pro 1. It looked amazing, and reviews confirmed that it ticked all the right boxes....this was a camera that could rival not just the best APS-C DSLRs, but also FF models.

So now I am the owner of an X-Pro 1! I told Chris that I took it out for the first time last weekend and the edge to edge sharpness was amazing. My other love is the post processing. For those who don't believe in editing or that a photo should be left the way it came out...stop reading now as it's heresy what I do to some images :). I wanted to be an artist when I was younger and using software like LR5, Nik Software and even Photoshop gives me the ability to really develop my images the way I want them to look. I'd rather someone hated a photo of mine than just move on to the next one nonchalantly.

Anyway, I will endeavor to post as much as possible and probably ask a lot of questions in order to learn new things. I've attached a pic I took in Boston. I didn't have a tripod so I rested my D90 on my girlfriends handbag which was on the ground (maybe there is a reason why women need so many bags! ;))

Boston.jpg

Oh no.... What has Chris done now!?!? ..... :D

Welcome Shane, liking your sense of humour.
You'll fit in just nicely here. :)

Hmmm,...the old girlfriendshandbagpod. Haven't used one of them in a LONNNNGGGGGG time.:rolleyes:

Welcome, Shane. Smashing first RPF image!:)

Hi Glen

Thank you - I was in Boston in April. I had a really nice time - the people were so helpful when my GF and I couldn't find where we were going! I took that long exposure on the way back from a restaurant on our last night...it was starting to rain but I had to try and get the shot...luckily (even with / thanks to the bag-pod :)) it came out ok.

Welcome from Boston Shane. Love you pic. When were you here?

Chris Dodkin? Helpful and reassuring? Sorry, mate, but I think you've got the wrong forum...

:D

Welcome, Shane. Great photo to introduce yourself with.
Merry Christmas to you too Rob! :D :D :D

rule one - the doctor lies.
rule two - so does chris.
True and true! I am a Dr (PhD), so I clearly qualify on both counts :D

I was very kindly invited to join RPF by Chris (Dodkin). We got chatting via email a couple of weeks ago and I asked his opinion and advice on the Fuji X-Pro 1. Chris was incredibly helpful and his reassurance tipped me over the scales to buy the X-Pro 1.​

Welcome Shane - glad you made it - and congrats on the new camera :)

Back