Book Cover

I've been thinking of a new theme for us to get our teeth into. Something to help brush away the winter blues and to get us thinking creatively (I for one could do with a bit of inspiration). And, I thought the idea of an image that could be used for the cover of a book, or maybe an illustration within a book. I had been toying with the idea of a fictional novel - ie, one that does not exist (and I have a few ideas for the blurb on the back). Another idea is to go with an existing novel (and I do think it needs to be a work of fiction - no 'History of the Scottish Lute' I'm afraid! ;) ) and maybe a classic. Two that spring to mind are Alice in Wonderland (probably overdone) and Treasure Island (I'm very keen on the edition illustrated by Ralph Steadman - plenty of potential darkness there - maybe an alternative version with a heroine). We want something that could either be abstract, a scene or something that includes people (especially for you @Asun Olivan!). So, what do we think?

Damn, I've got 500 photos just waiting for a history of the Scottish lute!

I'll give it some thought, Pete. Having no imagination to speak of, I'd opt for a book that already exists. Can we choose our own book? L'Etranger by Camus just popped into my head.

Well, I've just seen the last episode of the new BBC production of War & Peace, but that might be a little heavy :eek::D

So far we have:

Alice in Wonderland
Treasure Island
The Outsider

Once we have ten you could create a Poll....perhaps.

I've been thinking of a new theme for us to get our teeth into. Something to help brush away the winter blues and to get us thinking creatively (I for one could do with a bit of inspiration). And, I thought the idea of an image that could be used for the cover of a book, or maybe an illustration within a book. I had been toying with the idea of a fictional novel - ie, one that does not exist (and I have a few ideas for the blurb on the back). Another idea is to go with an existing novel (and I do think it needs to be a work of fiction - no 'History of the Scottish Lute' I'm afraid! ;) ) and maybe a classic. Two that spring to mind are Alice in Wonderland (probably overdone) and Treasure Island (I'm very keen on the edition illustrated by Ralph Steadman - plenty of potential darkness there - maybe an alternative version with a heroine). We want something that could either be abstract, a scene or something that includes people (especially for you @Asun Olivan!). So, what do we think?
I think that it's a great idea. How about ; Gone with the wind? :rolleyes: Honestly, quite open to a lot of interpretations right? Or some imaginary books, not written yet; " What happened to the horns of the Vikings, or were there any?" " Hoodlums of the Cornish coast," could be another? Or to be more sincere. Todays migration and its influence on Europe! ( Not a book written yet, but it is sure to come ). Well here I go again.

Interesting, I shoot images for possible CD covers and have done so for I guess 40 years although initially for Record/Tape covers. I've also been involved in the complete design of a variety of publications, books, flyer, calendars, posters etc.

Ian

OK, despite my original reservations, and after talking with Asun, I am going to propose Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass. It is a pretty overdone subject but maybe like the Calla theme we should aim for a different approach. So, I will create a prefix called Alice and, the quote another literary figure, the game is afoot!

So what do we have to do here then Pete. Im Presuming we think of a picture that will relate somehow to Alice in Wonderland and what post it here

Back