Brick Lane London

Steve Dormer

Hi All

i commented earlier today on a post where I mentioned about Brick Lane in London and said I would post some images I took earlier this year of the graffiti in the area.

If I may, I would like to make a small point before we go further. We will all have differing and valid views about graffiti and in particular the "taggers" who go around putting their signatures on every bit of available space there is. Hopefully, we can keep away from the morality surrounding graffiti and look at the work of the talented street artist and not the "taggers". Also my apologies to the conventional artists in our group who may also have a few on the term talent I use when talking about graffiti artists. It goes without saying the talent of the conventional artist is second to none.

A tattoo on a body is like graffiti in a city and just as difficult to get rid off. Graffiti is ever changing and a visit to Brick Lane and its surround streets will always come up with something different. Wherever you go in the East End you will be confronted by Graffiti and in a strange way in he Brick Lane area you get a sense that the art can be described as open, free street art but in a controlled way. Even the shopkeepers commission artist to adorn their shop fronts hoping to attract trade.

20123 by stevedormerphotography, on Flickr

Every corner you turn you will amazed what confronts you, for example turn into Hanbury Street and you will see a magnificent Crane in front of you by the street artist Roa.

201210 by stevedormerphotography, on Flickr

For these street artists it is an expression of their individuality and I surpose the area can be viewed as an open air gallery. But for many it is mere criminal damage. But lets just admire the talent for now and here are a few more images.

201213 by stevedormerphotography, on Flickr

201212 by stevedormerphotography, on Flickr

20127 by stevedormerphotography, on Flickr

20125 by stevedormerphotography, on Flickr

Loving the location, and the color and B&W shots Steve

Quite an amazing set of images - will have to visit that street

Hi All

Many Thanks for your comments it is very much appreciated

Thank you so much for this article Steve. I try and visit London once or twice a year and this will be next on my list. I've done the graffiti under the Queen Elizabeth Hall along the South Bank. That is ever-changing, but you need to catch the place when the light is low - late afternoon in summer is good. I had heard there was some interesting art down in Brighton, but I've never been able to find a location. I really love your set here :)

Hi Lesley

Thank you for you kind comment. I am hoping to spend some time in Bristol later in the year where there is a thriving community of street artists and of course the home of Banksy. I do like taking photos of graffiti and although it is someone else's art I think you can put your own angle on it.

Hi Adrian

Thanks for the info will definitely try and make it. Looks good

Back