By the river in false colour IR

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
LOADS of pp... lightroom is great for IR tweaking, the camera calibration adjustments work wonders

DSC_6968-1.jpg

red and blue inverted

DSC_6968-2.jpg

another shot...

DSC_6964.jpg

I love the colours again in that first one its like coppery , I was thinking when I looked at this for a while especially with the guy in the image, reminds me of them towns they used in America ( I think) with Dummies when they test nuclear things, most likely just me and my strange way of looking at things but the colours seem to go along with my thoughts too lol

I like them

When I was doing it, it made me think of 'dirk gentlys holistic detective agency' there is a robot monk on a planet million of miles away from earth sat on the back of a horse, motionless. He can't go anywhere because he has taken to believing that everything is a uniform shade of pink and so he effectively blind.... It's a Douglas Adams book ...

Anyway, I know what you mean .. I'm not sure there is a great deal of merit in this IR stuff? But o think the different perspective it gives is interesting ...
I think the difficult bit to it is is probably finding thinks where it is an appropriate choice to use it I that makes sence? Shots like these are all well and good, but in a way, they are just odd post process ... And im not sure what they do is that great really!

Im going to try and find some more unusual applications for it I think ... Like the portrait of Hannah I've done ... That has more merit I think than these by a good margin!

Still, it's all fun!

Having said I'm not so keen on IR landscapes these are interesting and using false colour rather than B&W adds something I think. Mind, that sensor needs a clean!!

They are interesting, bit I'm not sure they are any good...
I could see I could get something interesting with an ultra wide on a partly cloudy day I think ...
But as i said before I'm more interested in what I can get out of it as a camera for portraits ...

I actually wondered what I might get with some macro shots ... I might put it in alistairs hands and see what he can get ... I bet mini beasts would look very interesting through it!

I'm also wondering if anything interesting might happen with a long exposure at night with the light of the moon ...
Maybe a bit of IR torch shining on a subject in the dark ...
I also wonder what level of IR fire gives off ... Maybe Dans flying sparks thing might take on a different dimention?
There is loads of stuff I have wanted to try with one of these cameras!

Very nice Hamish - I like the way the man almost seems to float out of the image in #2 - he's so vivid compared to the backdrop

I think you'll get an eye how things might look in IR, and that will allow you to pick unusually subjects where the IR will give it a twist.

Kind of reprogramming your photographic brain! ;)

Back