Calling all Rolleiflex TLR owners or previous Rolleiflex TLR owners

Austin O'Hara

Currently I shoot digital ( 5 year old Nikon D80) with the very occasional film using a Voigtlander Vito (purchased in mint- condition) and Nikon FE (purchased in mint- condition). I love the feel and operation of the Vito B as well as the Nikon FE. I do not have a darkroom but eventually hope to have one. I have recently watched the Vivian Maier's documentary and have become obsessed with owning a Rolleiflex. I cannot afford £800 for a good Rolleiflex 2.8 or 3.5 but am willing to pay £400 ( after saving) for a good condition example and get a CLA.

My question: have all you owners used this camera enough to justify the cost?
What are the pitfalls of buying an old camera not in pristine condition?
Would you purchase this camera from eBay?
Have you ever regretted buying this camera?
Did you experience the same feelings about vintage beautiful cameras as I do?
I welcome comments about Rolleiflex T and Rolleicord as substitutes.
Any type of comment about Rolleiflex TLR is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Austin

Do you have a need for a Rolleiflex or just a TLR?

That Vivian Maier documentary was great, wasn't it. I bought a Mamiya C330 around that time - much cheaper than a Rollei, but very, very good. Built like a tank, totally reliable and in mint condition. Maybe one day I'll grow up and get a Rollei, but until the Mamiya it is. Sorry, Austin, but I have no direct experience of a Rollei...

I don't own a Rollie TLR but I've shot one and it was a delightful experience. Below is one of the images I shot.

I would echo what Rob said about the Mamiya TLR. I have a C33 and I love it. Plus, with the Mamiya TLRs you have the option of changing lenses. With the Rollei you don't have that. Nevertheless, the Rollei is a smashing camera and I would love to have one also.

I have just bagged a minty Rollei Magic II, but have yet to give it it's first test flight.

9375126556_d754ec0aea_c.jpg

Looks easy enough to use though, and very well made.

TLR shooting is good (IMHO) as it forces you to slow down, and pay attention to the basics.

I also like to see the square image on the large ground glass screen, as I feel this really helps with composition.

So far I've been lucky with all my EBAY purchases, in that they have all worked, although some have been in better condition that others.

I like a seller that posts lots of detailed photos so I can gauge condition ahead of purchase - I look at feedback, and whether the seller has a good record selling cameras.

Other's may be able to comment on specifics to look for with the Rolleiflex

Never heard of a Rollei Magic. Good on ye Chris!

TLR shooting is good (IMHO) as it forces you to slow down, and pay attention to the basics.
Right on, Man!

In fact, I took my C33 to the Getty Center a few weeks ago and while all around me were firing away like machine gunners at Guadalcanal, I shot 12 images in the whole afternoon. And I loved it for its deliberateness.

As to E-Bay, I'm like you, Chris: I focus on positive feedback % and weigh that against the number of sales. Dealing with someone who knows cameras is a good thing. (I hate this "I'm selling it for a friend" ploy, or the old "I know nothing about cameras" ruse, or the lame "I have no way of testing it" excuse.)

Is that selenium cells on the front, Chris, a bit like the Olympus Trip?

Exactly Rob - and this one still had it's light meter cover in place, so it has a good chance of still working.

The meter is made by Gossen, who also made the meter in the Rollei 35

Thanks everyone for your comments. I took the plunge and ordered a mint minus Rolleiflex T version K8 T2.
It's the version which does not have a light metre. The T model is the poor man's version and sits between a Rolleicord and the more expensive Rolleiflex F. I hope to take delivery early next week and the dealer has a returns policy.

Light meters are cheap :)

Thanks everyone for your comments. I took the plunge and ordered a mint minus Rolleiflex T version K8 T2.
It's the version which does not have a light metre. The T model is the poor man's version and sits between a Rolleicord and the more expensive Rolleiflex F. I hope to take delivery early next week and the dealer has a returns policy.

Congrats Austin - looking forward to seeing what you got and what it can do :)

Thanks Guys.

I have just been reading how challenging it is to compose for square frames.(Michael Freeman's - The Photographer's Eye).
OK for portraits and structures which lend itself to a square format.

Back