Camera recommendations...

I'm failing on all fronts here ... I can't find the spare fg20 I thought I had and the d100 is very poorly!
This weekend I'm aiming to start my big clear out so keep em peeled for a big "for sale" thread

XA is smaller too and full frame!
Which reminds me ... I must get that xa2 in the post ... When ate you over Brian? When's my deadline?

Thanks for the clarification Larry.
I have had good recommendations about the X100 from others.
I wonder if Hamish intends to sell his.:eek:

Thanks for the clarification Larry.
I have had good recommendations about the X100 from others.
I wonder if Hamish intends to sell his.:eek:

No idea what your experience level is, but when it was announced, Fuji called the X100 "a personal camera for professional photographers." Part of being a working photographer, is frequently learning to become fluent with new kinds of equipment—often quite daunting.

Much of the early criticism of the X100 came from either inexperienced people who want the camera to take over thinking for them, or people who have only used CaNikons, and think they are some sort of standard. People expected them to be like the mirrorless cameras that descended from dSLRs, while the DNA in the Fuji cameras is pure rangefinder. Basic differences lead to reports of "quirky", to diatribes about how Fujifilm got it all wrong with the whole camera being a design flaw.

There is no "standard" for menus or controls in the digital camera industry, and Fuji goes their own way. The camera, and the X-Pro1 that follows it, have no training wheels. They must be learned via manual and practice. For a casual snapshooter, they would be a poor choice. Accept the fact that they in no way resemble CaNikons, spend the time becoming fluent, and they are as easy to use in the field as anything else. In the areas where they excel, they have greatly empowered my photography, but I took the time to achieve perfect comfort with the X100, and am nearing that point with the XP1.

I really like the cameras, but would be the first to say that they are not for everyone.

Last edited:
Excellent idea. While a dSLR may well be the ideal camera for you, be aware that there are some really interesting cameras coming to market. Once the camera companies mastered the basics of making digital cameras, a lot of R&D money has been going into sensors, and that is paying off with smaller cameras quite capable of very nice quality.

The person who bought my D300 is presently sharing his ancestral homeland in Europe with his two grown daughters, and both a daughter and father are carrying a Fuji X-S1 while the D300 languishes at home. The X-S1 has a built-in zoom of enormous ratio, and one of the most interesting multi-mode sensors on the market. Canon has come out with a "serious compact" that is in essence a very high-end P&S. Moderate zoom built in, with a 1.5" sensor that is nearly as large as those found in many dSLRs. Ricoh has an interesting camera—a basic chassis, that accepts a variety of modules that transform it into quite different cameras.

Olympus and Panasonic share the Micro Four Thirds format, with a large variety of lenses from which to choose, plus there are mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras from Sony, Samsung and Pentax/Richoh. When Nikon brought their little Nikon 1 models to market, in many ways they were the most technologically advanced cameras you could buy—and they were not aimed at enthusiasts! The power was aimed at making them easy to use, no-fail family cameras. These all tend to be much smaller and lighter than dSLRs, as well as much quieter, making them easier to use for natural unposed photographs of people.

Photokina is a huge photographic trade show held only once every two years. This is a Photokina year and it will be opening on September 18th. Camera companies tend to use it to introduce new technology, and to get feedback—positive or negative—to prototype designs. Between today and the day it closes, we will be getting a preview of what may be in store for us over the next couple of years.

I for example, always carried a small, very-high quality rangefinder camera after work during the film era. It was a camera-type I greatly desired from the beginning of the digital era. Fuji showed a prototype at the last Photokina and I recognized instantly that it was the camera which for over a decade I had been hoping to buy. Response was enthusiastic and Fuji put it into production. I ordered one on the day of the announcement and could not have been more pleased with it. Over the past year and half, it is with me every time I step out my door. It is still one-of-a-kind.

While any camera can do the job, finding the camera that provides the highest level of comfort is what makes the hobby so pleasant. As you browse the shelves and handle the merchandise, imagine what and how you will be going about taking pictures. If budget is a problem, you could do much worse than buy one of the higher-end compacts. Less complication with the built-in lens, but still all the controls of a 'real' camera—along with sophisticated automation. Use it fully for a couple of years. By that time, you will have the experience to really judge your direction in photography, and the sort of camera that will empower you to pursue that direction. After you buy, the compact can continue doing duty as a carry-everywhere camera or you can pass it on to someone worthy. All the major camera makers have at least one in their line-up. They can provide a lot of learning with little risk.

Again, Thank you Larry for your considered and thorough reply.

I'm aware of the vast amount of choice on the market at the moment - and that I can't afford any of them right now! :) I love the idea of a rangefinder style digital camera or one of the new mirrorless system cameras (the Sony NEX7 seems to be getting lots of love atm as does the Fuji, wouldn't mind a Leica either :D). When I've enough to spend on 'proper' digital camera I will consider these - though thats not going to be for quite a while sadly. I'm also drawn to the slightly less main stream side of photography - hence the Lubbitel and plastic Diana F :)

I didn't want another point and shoot or single lens bridge camera after the frustrations I had with my last one - you leant to work around its limitations - but it was rubbish in low light and the DOF wasn't great etc. If I could get one of the new Fuji with the fixed lens then I wouldn't mind, but at the lower end of the market they feel like too big a compromise.

I first asked about what camera to get as I thought i could get a cheap-ish camera to learn on and try different lens etc then when I could finally afford a decent camera I'd know what I wanted. I'd now like a cheapish dslr to play with an a cheap 35mm film camera with a nice lens as there is something about a print off a b&w film that you just don't get with digital/inkjet print (I realise that probably sounds really pretentious but I don't care :p There is a physicality about a proper gelatin silver process dev/print - and yes, I am that person at exhibitions who reads how an image has been printed ;)) As I said to Hamish - I think joining this forum is going to cost me! :)

I'm failing on all fronts here ... I can't find the spare fg20 I thought I had and the d100 is very poorly!
This weekend I'm aiming to start my big clear out so keep em peeled for a big "for sale" thread

Thanks for looking Hamish. Shame about the d100.

I'll keep an eye out for your sales posts! :)

Hi Ben,

If your are content to stay with 35mm film /APC-C sized sensor I'd have a look at maybe a Fuji S2 / S3 Pro plus a Nikon FM or similar and a prime lens or two. The S2 / S3 / S5 are basically Nikon bodies with Fuji electronics and are pretty good value secondhand. And, of course, you can use the Nikon MF lenses on both these and a film body.

http://www.realphotographersforum.c...9-basic-manual-digital-camera-dslr-other.html

Hamish - your inbox is full! Trying to send you a message ;)

Hi Ben,

If your are content to stay with 35mm film /APC-C sized sensor I'd have a look at maybe a Fuji S2 / S3 Pro plus a Nikon FM or similar and a prime lens or two. The S2 / S3 / S5 are basically Nikon bodies with Fuji electronics and are pretty good value secondhand. And, of course, you can use the Nikon MF lenses on both these and a film body.

http://www.realphotographersforum.c...9-basic-manual-digital-camera-dslr-other.html

Thanks for that Pete. Looks like I have a dslr now thanks to Hamish! I'll update everyone once its all confirmed :D

Quick update...

Thanks to Hamish I am now have a Nikon d100 dslr AND a FG20 :)

Just need some lenses now - but thats another thread ;)

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Canon D550.

I use Canon D550 camera from 2 months. I think this is a nice camera. It has so many great features.
So i think you should go for Canon D550 Camera.

Before you make the plunge, read some reviews and take suggestions from the forum. Don't aim too low when choosing a camera. I've never heard anyone complaining that the camera they bought is too good.

Don't rule out used and refurbished cameras from dealers and manufacturers.

Camera Reviews

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures

Photography Review: Latest Reviews & Tips On Photography Equipments

Digital Photography Review

Compare digital cameras - Snapsort

Equipment & Reviews | What Digital Camera

Back