Camera Sling vs Wrist strap?

Adam Lewis

I'd just like to get everyone's opinion really.
I've been walking around with the dslr round my neck with the standard strap you get, and without sounding disgusting, after a bit of walking round I find it gets hot and sticky/sweaty . And of course it pulls on my neck, it might just be my neck is weak, but it is a bit dulling.

Anyway... I want an easier, less sweaty method of carrying around on streets, and I've boiled down to two options.

Option 1 - a sling , like a Black Rapid (though I'd buy a 3rd party cheaper one) - only disadvantage I can see is that when I'm on my way home on bus, camera isn't protected at all.. ?
Option 2 - a wrist strap - disadvantage of having to hold it constantly (would it become heavy after a while? Would I be able to drop it?), but I could then put the camera into my tiny little camera bag ..

What do you think would be the best option? Or is there another option I've missed out?

I want ease, comfort and no sweat :D

Thank you

for me the black rapid was the only option, I needed to be able to strap the camera round my back when i was climbing up to waterfalls... when just walking it hangs at my waist and is comfortable being there

for me the black rapid was the only option, I needed to be able to strap the camera round my back when i was climbing up to waterfalls... when just walking it hangs at my waist and is comfortable being there

I certainly won't be doing any climbing anyway :)
I like the fact that you can pick up your camera without the straps moving, I'm also a little OCD with the standard neck strap, it had to hang perfectly evenly lol, so at least once the strap is on, it doesn't need to move again.
Do I have a reason to worry about protection when on the bus? Or is that just paranoia of it getting bashed? Any thoughts regarding wrist strap instead of a sling? I know it's comparing a stove to a frying pan, but you know lol

I decided on a sling, I bought a fakey 'black rapid sport' style one, with the bit that goes under your armpit.. I shall post pics and stuff when it arrives :)

I decided on a sling, I bought a fakey 'black rapid sport' style one, with the bit that goes under your armpit.. I shall post pics and stuff when it arrives

I trust we'll get a full user review as well, you know Hamish won't settle for just piccies :D:D:D,

Of course lol, ill go and use it for a few hours in manchester, get a true feel for it :)
Ill even stretch to providing a link and the price of it lol

It depends on the camera.

For me it's Black Rapid RS4 for the gripped D700 and Footprint wrist strap for the X100.

Cheers for that dave, bit too late lol,
I don't have a grip, and my lens isn't huge anyway, so it shouldn't matter so much, but I've read reviews for this cheapie one and some people are saying they use it for gripped 7d with 300mm lens, so I bet that weighs a great deal more than my 600d with 28-105 non gripped :)

I'll be getting someone to buy me a grip for Xmas anyway, saves me buying it :p

black rapid here, i was going to get cheaper option when i purchased mine but was worried that cheaper copies of BR may not have good enough build quality to hold my Gripped 7D & 24-70 F2.8 which would not be to cheap to replace if it hit the deck.

So opted for BR & hope it was good enough quality.......i defo haven't been disappointed.

Would love to know your thoughts & pics when you get it. When in cities & busy areas i also keep my hand on camera so i know its still there but it is an awesome way of carrying the cam, far better IMO than standard neck strap

Daz

Well no camera would be cheap to replace. There doesn't seem to be any horror stories on google for this strap anyway, there are some however for the 'quick strap', who cheekily have EXACTLY the same design as the black rapid lol.

Yes I plan on having a hand on the camera anyway, just to know its still there, not been replaced with a brick lol.
Oh yeah daz - I've gotten over my fear a bit too, I won't be in someone's face, but I can do it from a nice distance :)

I bet that any sling is better than the neck strap, my neck strap will become a DIY wrist strap perhaps lol

yer i thought i read some horror storied for non BR products but cant remember names or brands......... Kinda scared me at the time and almost put me off the whole idea of this kinda strap.

Love mine though & defo wouldn't be without it :) & i am sure you will to

Daz

I've had a quick look on google, there's a horror story for a 'Dual Q Strap' . Where the clips broke.. I'm not being funny, but with 2 cameras and 2 lenses, you'd spend more than £18 or so for the safety.
Ah well, ill post some pics and a little review when it comes. It was sent 1st class this morn, so maybe Monday/Tuesday it'll turn up, I can take it out on weds :)

Well, it arrived today.. So I'm sorry, it'll be those boring product shots - done with iPhone ;)
The weather can't decide what it's doing tomorrow, but if its decent, ill be taking it for a test drive in the city !

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Initial thoughts - strap is nice and padded, the padded area goes from my chest to the bottom of my shoulder blades (but I'm only small anyway). The straps can extend to a very large size, so it's a good length for all.
The D-Ring feels sturdy, the rubber washer a good thickness to prevent damage. The locking carabiner - seems a little flimsy perhaps, when screwed to full lock, you can keep twisting, and you can feel the threads 'jump'? But if needs be I can get a strong one for like £5 at Clas Olsen no doubt. The sliding part slides effortlessly and didn't snag whilst I was messing earlier.
Other than that, I can't comment on anything yet :)

We'll see what the weather brings :)

Thanks for the update, looks great, keep us posted on your thoughts on how it goes when using out on the street

Daz

Back