Canon 100mm L is USM Marco or Sigma 105mm DG OS HSM Macro ??

Roger Byrne

Hi, I'm upgrading my macro lens and although id normally head straight for the Canon L series lens I've read very good reviews on the Sigma 105mm.

Anyone in here use one or compared the 2?

Thanks in Advance

Mac

I would also have a look at the Tamron 90mm F2.8 as no IS & brilliant quality = great value for money at around £390 inc vat from ourselves, we supply it in our macro kit we put together & have never had a problem with it either mechanical or results wise & it goes out to PRO medical photographers to so any problems would deffo be made aware of to us.We used to supply the non IS Sigma lens but switched when it changed as for macro work you do not need IS as 99% of time a ringflash is used & AF is switched off as well.
Hope this helps & it will save you loads of cash to boot.

Thanks Andy, im upgrading from the Non IS canon version as i'd also like the lens to double up as a portrait lens on my back up camera at weddings so the IS could come in handy.

I'll take a look at the tamron but i think im still heading towards that L lens :)

I use the Sigma 105mm and it's a superb lens - for macro and other stuff too. Great portrait lens!

Thanks for the info Dave, i tried all 3 out today and although there wasn't much in it i went for the Canon L that little red ring gets me every time!