Canon: Fall Foliage Photography

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Autumn begins around late September, bringing with it a seasonal change that inspires photographers across the nation: Fall foliage. Autumn’s dramatic landscapes are stunning to behold and the challenge is how to preserve the impact in a still photograph that captures the unique quality of this season.

leaves__fs.jpg

Canon DLC: Article: Fall Foliage Photography

A comprehensive write-up, to help you get the best fall shots.

Yes, a fall foliage theme would be great. I'd definitely like to see how others approach this topic and I will share some of my efforts as well. Let's do it!

on a personal level i'm well up for an autumn theme , it's by far my favourite season

fine for me, i have a highland trip planned for next week lol

I'm at a disadvantage. I imagine Chris will be too. The autumn colors are largely the same as the Spring, Summer and Winter colors in Southern California.

Brian - I'm heading up to Julian on Saturday to see if the altitude can provide some more fall color - I think that's our best bet around here!

Ah yes, we do have an annual issue with wildfires in these parts - fingers crossed we have a quiet fire season this year.

In full blaze here—as it is every year. Over the weekend, I had a chance to get out of town and do a bit of shooting. To break the cliche of would-be calendar shots, I used the longer end of my lens and wider openings for shallow depth of field. To further break the cliche, I included an out of focus element in each shot. I invite all to try to identify it. My guess is that the little gallery I produced is unique in the world. :D

Autumn?A Somewhat Different Approach

Larry, very clever idea - is that last one a 'doyouthinkhesawus'?

Well, this is Alberta and they are everywhere. Real lens-lice and photo-bombers. They were hoping for nice sharp publicity shots for their portfolios—TV is a big market for them—but I fooled them!

:D :eek: ;)

It's on my shooting list ;)

Back