CES 2013 Wrap-Up

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
I'm back home after two exhausting days at CES - it's just mind boggling how huge the event is

8369657616_e928d560d8_h.jpg

This pano shot shows about 2/3 of it - there was another hall to the right, and the halls each go back for acres.

Most photography manufacturers were there with trade stands, new products, demo facilities etc - it's clearly a big deal for the retail industry.

Lot's of other tech stuff as well - most noticeable were the hundreds of companies making stuff to add on to your iPod, iPad, iPhone - and if you want a Hello Kitty anything, it's there!

On the AV side - 4K TVs were the thing - they look great, are HUGE, and expensive - and there's almost no content for them - but since when did that stop a good sales pitch!

Nikon

Had one of the largest stands - huge area of demos kit, meeting rooms, a low light area etc

All the big toys were on display

8366896653_0766abfcb9_b.jpg

They had a bar where you could pick up and try the kit - under the watchful eye of a Nikon rep

8367964236_8d82ab3db6_b.jpg

He looked a little upset that I was shooting Fuji :D

Their stand was buzzing - very busy - I don't know the kit well so didn't engage that much, but things looked very healthy, and people were enjoying getting hands-on

8368591977_67f7d378ee_b.jpg

Canon

Canon had a big stand - mixed cameras and printing technology, as well as video.

Same set-up as Nikon - I went to the camera bar and tried the new EOS -M Mirrorless with native and EF lenses

Complete joke - it would be quicker to send a carrier pigeon to get the focus distance! No idea whey they ever released this camera with the EOS name on it - it's dead in the water IMHO

Also played with the flagship EOS 1DX

8367965104_e85654d16b_b.jpg

This think is like the Terminator - it's just a mean machine that looks and feels unstoppable - very impressive viewfinder image, and faster than thought AF (well faster than I think!)

Would love one - but the price is just insane

Lots of big glass to try

8370060787_f754e53479_b.jpg

The other big feature for Canon is their move from the 5D series, into 'proper digital cameras for motion pictures.

They devoted a large area to this growing section

8370060633_6b2f41ab46_b.jpg

And there was some very very tasty kit on display

8369658106_a8f4465305_b.jpg

For the consumer, this kit is crazy expensive - but for movie studios, it's cheap as chips compared to just a few years ago.

Red were also at the show, but were only showing content delivery, not the cameras.

Fuji

I already covered in my first post - they did have a lot of other kit on show, including the instant cameras, pro TV cameras for studio and OB, and the Fuji photo printing machines you see in photo labs.

They have a stated goal of being #3 in the camera business by the end of 2013 - so they are pushing hard.

Olympus

Oly are odd in that they didn't have a stand on the trade floor - instead they has a suite upstairs in the meeting rooms. This means they get no passing trade, and you have to go seek them out. It does however mean that it's quiet, and yu can get a conversation with the Oly reps.

I played with the OM-D a lot - very nice build - lovely rear screen - AF nice and fast

8367965902_76c5d9c139_b.jpg

8367965742_0258e605c9_b.jpg

This is clearly a serious contender, and looks the mutts nuts in black (IMHO) - especially with that grip :)

8368590991_a70f1028f1_b.jpg

I have been eyeing up an Oly waterproof snappy cam for pool/beach use with the grandkids - so was interested to see the TG-1 (which they had in a fish tank)

But no sooner had I spotted that, than the Oly rep pounced and showed me the new model, the TG-2!

It comes with a built-in lens, and can take a fisheye adapter or a Tele adapter as well, and still be used down to 50' depth

8366898903_cffe86a655_b.jpg

With Fisheye

8366898741_e3af37c5ac_b.jpg

With Tele

This is now on my wish list for spring/summer - Retail for camera is under $400 they said.

Pentax

Pentax had a large booth, and were really pushing their consumer models - with a wall of options for color choice

8366898003_2c65af732c_b.jpg

Seriously - how many colors do you need? :D

They had a new 'retro' mirror less - the MX-1

8367965528_674807587c_b.jpg

They made a huge play of this camera having 'brass' plate top and bottom.

Having tried it - it feels like a cheapish body with metal strapped to it - no weight or heft - not very impressive build - took photos ok, but I wasn't sold. More of a me-too effort I think.

They had their MF kit on display - but it was mostly behind glass, so didn't get to play.

Samsung

Samsung are making a real effort - they had multiple new models, with built-in WiFi, some running Android, all with Apps that cam upload images to the cloud, or email to people from the camera.

They had remote viewing and control from phones and tablets - and some interesting lenses as well.

8369657188_3df389070c_b.jpg

This little NX model has an 85mm f/1.4 lens on it!

The cameras performed well, although I find them hard to hold as they are very small - and over balance easily with larger lenses

8368591161_0c0352fdc4_b.jpg

They are clearly innovating like crazy, and will be a force to be reckoned with for sure.

8368591339_87abddc76c_b.jpg

8369657350_602a644280_b.jpg

Other folks who were there include Polaroid, with new cameras, Pelican with cases, Tiffen and Hoya with filters and accessories, Velbon with tripods, Domke with bags etc

But what I did see were a flood of mostly Chinese companies, producing own brand or knock-off products for photography. They are flooding the market and bringing down the prices.

Here's a direct copy of the Wimberley Head - but made in China and pitched at a much lower price point

8368592161_ef100c1ec9_b.jpg

No idea if it is as good, better, same as the original, but it's clearly a rip-off of the original design.

Some Chinese companies makes the OEM product brands we know in the West, and are now doing their own Chinese brands to market direct.

All I can say is that prices will be going down, but we'll have to keep an eye on quality.

Finally, props to Aston Martin, for realizing that there would be a hoard of guys trapped in a hall for a week, who might like to look at something other than gadgets.

8368592269_e52f158e2b_b.jpg

This was all they had on show - but what a beauty! :D

In two days I maybe walked 2/3 of the show - I failed to even see 80% of the products I'd guess - but it was great fun, and it was nice to speak in depth to the reps.

I'll be looking to go again next year I think ;)

Jeez, you completely missed the Gibson tent?!?!?! [doh]

Rob - I was out of time and energy - but it looked like a good tent they had going on

There were lots of practice amps in the main area as well - ion had a very cool looking/sounding box

thanks for all of the photos and the interesting read.

i'm glad i bought the fuji and didn't hold out for the canon m. love the aston. samsung has some pretty nice stuff out already, but with their android integration i think they're going to take off. didn't realize they were letting the chinese companies in. i thought ces was always pretty picky about their vendors.

Nice write up Chris!
You had exactly the same reaction to the eos-m as me ... Waiting for it to focus is almost a touch embarrassing! A shame!
That Oly tg2 does look ace doesn't it ... I'd quite like one!
and all them pentax q's ... Surely they aren't available in all those colours?

I hadn't realised CES was more than cameras. Im glad you went Chris & this is the only write up i will read.
Aston Martin is so clever.

Given CES' vast scale i feel one day i should take the SWMBO just to make up for the seemingly endless hours of clothes & window shopping [devil]

What do you think the odds are that Fuji comes out with a DSLR at some point? Not that I would want one instead of the X Pro....unless of course it's a FF model with and X Trans sensor.....somebody please stop me.....

Ahmad- That's not the same. You need clothes and I'm sure there are a myriad other of equally rational reasons I just can't think of right now.

well, if you don't mind something that's 5.5 years old, you could look at the fuji s5 pro. pretty sure it's just a nikon with a fuji sensor though.

a full frame dslr, rangefinder or mirrorless would be nice. but not entirely sure about that either, cause the body would be bigger and they'd have to re-do all of the lenses to make them bigger.. then i'd have a really nice kit the same size as my canon kit, which doesn't go out because it's too big and heavy.

What do you think the odds are that Fuji comes out with a DSLR at some point? Not that I would want one instead of the X Pro....unless of course it's a FF model with and X Trans sensor.....somebody please stop me...

I would not rule it out years from now, but I would be astonished. It would mean not only one, but two new lens mounts, unless they once again served as a platform for another company to capitalize on their technology. A dSLR means a thick body. While the Fuji S series was a Fuji sensor and processor, it was a Nikon lens mount and Nikon made the money. To produce a FF native lens mount would mean a whole new series of incompatible lenses—that could not help but be expensive.

Current lenses would not work on the new full frame bodies, though new lenses would probably be backward compatible. Double the sensor size and you increase the lens size by 1.5× for the same angular coverage. While the superb little 60mm gives the same angular coverage as an actual 90mm lens, now you need a bulky and more expensive actual 90mm. Bye, bye small, discrete and highly mobile lenses.

What do you gain? Mostly weight and very little else—perhaps 1.0EV in sensitivity—not significant considering the quality of my XP1 at ISO6400 with fast Fujinon lenses. For the cliche-bound who wander around muttering "bokeh, bokeh", a 56mm f/1.4 is in the works. It will produce phuzzygraphs of extremely lousy DOF wide-open for those who demand that only an eye be in focus, to be only applauded by their mutual admiration society, while the rest of the world wonders why they can't shoot in-focus images.

Even without cracking the X-trans CFA de-mosaic, the image quality rivals contemporary full-frame cameras at any given ISO setting unless you are examining the images at magnifications no viewer ever sees. At least one or two programs are close to shipping with X-Trans interpretation solved. Adobe has had the algorithms for a year, and eventually someone will either learn them or a mathematician will be trained in programming in order to support them. At that point, all the potential of the X-Trans will be available to us.

The stealthy, compact X-Pro system then becomes just another hulking-big mirrorless dSLR wannabe. If anyone could produce the smallest full-frame mirrorless system with pro-level quality, Fuji seems like the most likely. It would still be a significantly larger system, defeating the goal of the X-cameras. With the progress that is being made with APS-C sized sensors, it would offer little in practical terms in image quality but at a much higher price. I would far rather see a high-end APS-C camera with great weatherproofing, WiFi and specially a GPS built in, along with a really fine interval timer. That I would pay for over just a big sensor.

Back