Critique Required Cheddleton flint mill in sepia

Dave Moss

I tried today to recreate what was (according to flickr) one of my most popular shots ever Cheddleton flint mill the first attempt was taken with a cheap (sub £50 at the time) compact post processed in windows photo gallery cropped straightened and turned sepia to try and make it look something

cheddleton flint mill by davem44, on Flickr

I took it again a week ago saturday I think the light was to harsh

Rudyard (3 of 14) by davem45, on Flickr

So after thinking about it I tried again today different time of day

chedfm (3 of 37) by davem45, on Flickr

I like the retro look of the images you make, Dave. In this set I quite like #2 actually. The drama of the strong shadows on the wall and also on the fencing is very appealing to me. (But I agree with Pete avbout the reverse vignette.)

Dave I concur with Pete about the vignette. Even if it was one lower corner and not uniform would maybe work. The small journey from one to number three in the series has shown a lot of progress with smashing result. I do know with this type of processing it ant easy. I like the last one a lot.
What has helped I would say is the whites which vary in all.With the last image the white being something to pull everything together and complementary against the rest of the image. It is my belief that the whites, or hue of the white's , part of an image dictates greatly on the tonal qualities from there on. It is a good starting point. It is best to have a constant to work from and against, as every slight change in one tonal or hue will effect everything else. That's putting it simply, yet that is the wonderful thing that gives us hours of pleasure.......... :cool:

i like the second, but think it would look better with some vintage contrast applied to the tones. strong contrast and sepia tones don't mix well for me.

if you use lightroom there's a lightroom preset for that here: RPF LR4 Lightroom Preset Repository. it's called 'faded b&w film.' it'll keep the light you've captured, but dull your blacks and whites so it looks like a faded print. add your sepia toning after you run that.. you may also want to remove the grain from the preset, if it's not your thing.

Back