Critique Welcomed Chicago Buildings

Brian Moore

I was in Chicago in February and took my Olympus OM-2n and a new lens for it that I had recently bought: an Olympus Zuiko 35mm f2.8 shift lens.

The film I used was Arista EDU 400 (rebranded Fomapan) that I processed in Rodinal.

This was my first experience using a shift lens. You'll see significant vignetting in several of the images. This was due I think to the fact that I had a hood on the lens and when I shifted the lens the hood was getting in the way! You learn by your mistakes!

NBC Tower

The Wrigley Building

Trump Tower

The Marina Towers

Lake Point Tower

Skyline

Your Humble Correspondent

Last edited:
Very good, Brian. Is the lens designed to counteract converging verticals? If so, it does it well. I like the hood effect - gives them a certain stylistic stamp. But I can't see anything wriggly about the second...

What a super set and the vignettes don't worry me at all. But who is that shadowy figure?! ;)
Thanks Pete. (Only the Shadow knows.)

Very good, Brian. Is the lens designed to counteract converging verticals? If so, it does it well. I like the hood effect - gives them a certain stylistic stamp. But I can't see anything wriggly about the second...
Yes Rob,...the shift function is designed to counteract converging verticals. As to the wriggliness of the building, I used a fast enough shutter speed to stop the action. :rolleyes: Thanks Rob.

Looking at these again. The Wrigley building is a wonderful shot, Brian. I can totally see the advantage of the lens, and the two figures help with scale. You've shared a lot of your architecture shots before, and I think this lens will really help you get where you want to go in that genre, while still having a stamp of your own. Good work.

Looking at these again. The Wrigley building is a wonderful shot, Brian. I can totally see the advantage of the lens, and the two figures help with scale. You've shared a lot of your architecture shots before, and I think this lens will really help you get where you want to go in that genre, while still having a stamp of your own. Good work.
Thanks Rob. I appreciate that very much.

Wow! That is a fantastic set of images, love them. The vignetting is not a problem, if anything it adds to the mood of the pictures.

Back