Clear skies after blizzard

It's always a good thing to try to put yourself in other people's shoes before you speak. And putting myself in the shoes of those young apple trees, dead from the cold but nevertheless full of promising buds, I would say that your photo does us justice very well. Very nice framed, a well-told story.

This reminded me that I have to prune the pomegranate in the yard and that before long I will have to pick the bitter oranges to make an inconvenient amount of marmalade.

Last edited:
I love your photographs Julian! It must be cold everywhere. This past weekend we were without power for 36 hours with the outside temperature at -10 degrees C and 50mph winds. Today the temperature is supposed to get above freezing but it has been raining for hours and the ice is pretty thick.164 b&w.jpg

Last edited:
We've had -10C lows here in central Louisiana but last night was the 'bottom'. It's a little above freezing today, but that'll change after dark. At least most of the ice on the roads has melted. There's a ~30% chance of rain tomorrow, but with warmer temperatures. Then it cools off again into next week. Guess it's January! LOL At any rate, I'm nowhere near accustomed to "real" cold, but come summer we'll have some "real" heat. Then I'll be wishing for cold... :)

Once upon a time I lived in Huntsville, AL. We'd get an ice storm about once a year. Of course in the summertime the cotton doesn't get as high as it used to. They spray it with defoliant these days.

I had a friend in Huntsville... 40+ years ago. LOL We met on a summer job near Asheville, North Carolina.

Re: ice, we didn't have an ice storm (we do get them occasionally, though) but rather the remains of frozen precip. Once it hit the concrete with subfreezing lows, it was there to stay. I tried chipping some of it off my driveway adjacent to the garage with a square shovel* but it was having none of that. Ironically I think it was too thin. Thicker, and it would've broken up and come off. But I couldn't get any response from it. so I took that as a sign I needed to go back inside. And eat. :cool:

* Being as far south as I am, I'm pretty skill-less at Real Winter stuff. But come back in August and I'll make up for it (i.e., show you how to sit inside under the AC).

I love your photographs Julian! It must be cold everywhere. This past weekend we were without power for 36 hours with the outside temperature at -10 degrees C and 50mph winds. Today the temperature is supposed to get above freezing but it has been raining for hours and the ice is pretty thick.View attachment 18505
Really enjoyed this !!!

Power lines are everywhere to remind us we are in a real world. I don't find it distracting, it's a very discreet presence with a modest and well-mannered behavior, like a movie extra. But I understand @Gary Gruber point of view.

I make an effort to frame shots without powerlines. I know they're everywhere and I have to say that earlier this week the power wasn't flowing to me through our lines and it was pretty terrible.

I agree that, when possible, such distractions need to be avoided (with discernment) in a photograph. But then again, a photograph is a frozen moment of the reality, nothing else. I could've removed the damn thing easily, but why? What would be the purpose? To make the photograph more appealing? I'm sorry, but this is what I saw, and I was amazed at the clear sky and at the beauty of the nature. I appreciated that moment for what it was. Powerline? What powerline?

Back