Clyde Butcher @ TED

That was inspiring, as you said. It must take a lot of determination to shoot such large photographs up to your chest in water. Seems like a nice bloke, too.

Pete, I'd be interested to read your professional view of how he could provide such a light source to a small steam-train like enlarger. Building the larger washers with steel and wood enforcements and large pools with valved drains for chemicals are comprehensible in my ability. But the enlarger's start-up is so impressive and beyond me. :)

That was interesting Nihat, thanks for the link. I have seen a much longer and more in-depth interview with him on one of the Luminous Landscape video journals. In that they actually make one of the mural-sized prints. I can't remember whether he said much about the light source but, based on the image in the TED presentation and elsewhere, it looks suspiciously like a large scanner bed. I suspect therefore that it must be projected as a continuously moving strip in some way rather than as a whole. The distance from the holder / light source to lens is very short which would support that idea I guess.

Thank you, Pete. :) It is fascinating... They (were) 200 miles north of me, close to Fresno. How do you utilize those lenses?

Back