Local heritage recycled, reused, repurposed

Julian Tanase

Visited recently a small town in the Eastern Europe, in the Republic of Moldova. A small country, somewhere on a sliver of land between the Prut and the Dniester rivers, a country that currently struggles with the uncertainty of its future. Torn between the Soviet past and its reorientation to the European place it believes it deserves, this country is slowly waking up. There are a lot (a lot) of things that need to be addressed in order to get there, but they will succeed in the end, I believe. Good people, with less luck in their history. Perhaps times will change that.

This very small town I am speaking of is called Nisporeni. And in this town there is a small property, owned by a guy named Schultz, I guess this is his nickname. He owns and operates a small coffee and spirits bar on the premises, a small affair really, suited to this small town. Affable guy, business-driven, very personable and always ready to listen and making a conversation sparkle with interest, curiosity and local history knowledge.

He took it upon himself to make this place a bit different; he started years ago to collect junk, stuff people threw to the rubbish bins, and he repurposed the said junk to decorate his court yard. A few pieces he salvaged are really interesting, such as a very old horse cart, used in the past to transport goods and people in the rural areas, a carriage from the town’s children park, built by the Soviets in the 70’s and now long gone, a large old wooden box used to put the dowry of a peasant’s daughter when marrying, old wheels from horse carts, and so on.

He did this because he thought this “junk”, as others call it, is part of the local history, stuff they used in the past, a sort of heritage if you like. Everything is done by hand, by him alone, in a rather naïve manner; however, the heart and soul he puts in every corner of the court yard is more than making up for lack of whatever artistic criteria. It is actually an impressive effort to seek these pieces of old furniture, broken pots and pans, disparaged cart wheels and all of the bits he then reuses and combine and fashion into the stuff I have seen and enjoyed.

“People are not interested in this stuff anymore”, he says. “For instance, after the Soviet era, they threw away vintage furniture and everything that reminded them of the old days. They went and broke down entire sets of such vintage, hand-made furniture left from their parents or grandparents and burn them in stoves during the winter, or sold them for scraps. And they went to buy two-bit quality new ones, because it was fashionable to have the latest bed or closet or cupboard models. And they did this with an overwhelming desire to destroy everything related to their past. But getting rid of your past is not a solution, if you want to preserve your identity, he says.

A lot of this old stuff is gone forever, and among it were really old things, going back to the 18th and 19th centuries even. Now people realized their mistake and are looking to decorate their homes with such, but they are simply gone, they are ashes. And they did this for basically everything they had from the old days, even very old agricultural implements they inherited. A real loss for us, and a really sad thing to happen for the community’s past and history, which we all should protect and be proud of”.

Camera used to take these photographs was Olympus OM1, loaded with Agfa APX 100, Rodinal Spezial.

om1_apx.1000003.jpg

More photographs can be seen here. I hope you enjoy it.

Very impressive, Julian. In a small way you have also contributed to preserving the memory of these things. There are many cultures around the world which have made a leap towards what we might loosely call Western values and fashions, only to realise later on that much of it was not worth reaching for. So sad. It’s wonderful that Schultz made a concerted effort to collect many of these objects - each one of which could start a long and interesting story - and preserve them for the future.

And your website is truly excellent. Well worth a few visits.

I can understand why people discard and destroy as part of the process to move on and forget, but it is a shame that they do. I enjoyed your photo-essay on this place and like the aesthetic (to some extent I do the same with discarded things in the Garden in the UK and here in Germany. We have friends here in Potsdam who also accumulate things from the days of the DDR (they are now in their 80s and have always lived here) and incorporate them in their garden and house. I have some pictures of some of their 'accumulations' which I will dig out (I'm not sure I every posted them here).

Great pic and article, Julian. Such an awful shame to read of the total abandonment of their heritage. It’s the old “the grass is always greener on the other side” syndrome. Thank goodness for folk like Schultz.

Thank you guys, for both of your comments, feels good to see the message went through, so to say.

I guess that one reason on why the people discarded the old stuff was in way related to their wish to erase their past of humiliation and sufferings. But this come at a price, because such remnants of the past (especially if that past is painful to recall) are necessary. They are mandatory for the new generations to see and appreciate these remnants as witnesses of a dark history of their people. OK, perhaps not remnants such as chairs or old cupboards, but you get the general idea. And anyways, burning old stuff does not remove that past. What you manage to do is to lie to yourself that ok, we did let go now that this piece went up in flames. You'll feel good for about 5 minutes, then what? People will still remember they were deported, maimed, killed, all in the name of a sick ideology. Can you kill a collective memory? That will never be possible, I believe.

Past has to be a permanent ingredient in the education of the new generations, for today and moreover, for tomorrow. Imagining you have a different past just doesn't make it so.

Thank you for reading this rant, sorry to have been caught into the maelstrom of my own thoughts :)

I can understand why people discard and destroy as part of the process to move on and forget, but it is a shame that they do. I enjoyed your photo-essay on this place and like the aesthetic (to some extent I do the same with discarded things in the Garden in the UK and here in Germany. We have friends here in Potsdam who also accumulate things from the days of the DDR (they are now in their 80s and have always lived here) and incorporate them in their garden and house. I have some pictures of some of their 'accumulations' which I will dig out (I'm not sure I every posted them here).
Really looking forward to these, if you do find them.

Very impressive, Julian. In a small way you have also contributed to preserving the memory of these things. There are many cultures around the world which have made a leap towards what we might loosely call Western values and fashions, only to realise later on that much of it was not worth reaching for. So sad. It’s wonderful that Schultz made a concerted effort to collect many of these objects - each one of which could start a long and interesting story - and preserve them for the future.

And your website is truly excellent. Well worth a few visits.
Thank you, Rob, truly appreciated !

That is a remarkable account and a great set of pictures. It is ironic that in other parts of the world people would pay good money for some of those items, to give their expensive appartments an "industrial chic" look.

Rob's second sentence "In a small way you have also contributed to preserving the memory of these things" was my first thought, Julian. (By the way I agree with the others about the quality of your website; there's a lot of great stuff there.)

I visited Budapest a few years ago. There were antique stores we walked by, only looking in the front window because we had no need or desire to shop as tourists. There were some very fine glassware, dishware & cutlery & furniture...fine enough to wonder how they ended up in a store...many reasons, of course. But some were clearly not peasants' articles.

There were 'ruin bars/pubs', Szimpla-Kert remaining in my mind...I think the same investors or company have done something similar in Berlin. One we visited hosts a variety of other pop-up events and marketplaces and art events. Bombed buildings from WWII, (supposedly) inspected & reinforced as needed, without roofs. One had a piano from some Soviet region, apparently reduced to decor due to its condition.

Szimpla-Kert was full of crazy combinations of objects. There was also a garage of 1930's(?) go-karts that are used in a city tour...patrons get to drive them in a group accompanied by tour guides.

A room I called Wonderland because of the hookah & bathtub as furniture was one of the more memorable things. I am having a difficult time transferring a copy of a photo to upload...should be easier on a PC than phone...later.

Also saw a bar in Krakow, 'Propaganda'- the walls were hung with plenty of Soviet-era household goods like guitars, toasters, cameras, table radios, etc.

Phone pics, but taken by a real person.

Attachments

• 7th District Budapest vintage go karts.jpg
    7th District Budapest vintage go karts.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 6
I visited Budapest a few years ago. There were antique stores we walked by, only looking in the front window because we had no need or desire to shop as tourists. There were some very fine glassware, dishware & cutlery & furniture...fine enough to wonder how they ended up in a store...many reasons, of course. But some were clearly not peasants' articles.

There were 'ruin bars/pubs', Szimpla-Kert remaining in my mind...I think the same investors or company have done something similar in Berlin. One we visited hosts a variety of other pop-up events and marketplaces and art events. Bombed buildings from WWII, (supposedly) inspected & reinforced as needed, without roofs. One had a piano from some Soviet region, apparently reduced to decor due to its condition.

Szimpla-Kert was full of crazy combinations of objects. There was also a garage of 1930's(?) go-karts that are used in a city tour...patrons get to drive them in a group accompanied by tour guides.

A room I called Wonderland because of the hookah & bathtub as furniture was one of the more memorable things. I am having a difficult time transferring a copy of a photo to upload...should be easier on a PC than phone...later.

Also saw a bar in Krakow, 'Propaganda'- the walls were hung with plenty of Soviet-era household goods like guitars, toasters, cameras, table radios, etc.

Phone pics, but taken by a real person.
I think I'll create a separate thread with things that caught my eye in Budapest. They don't add anything to Julian's storyline here.

Back