Colour Casts On Display Items.

Ivar Dahl-Larsen

in the streets of London.jpg
To whom it may interest
.Cameras, monitors, ipads and tablets of any form has a colour setup in sRGB, which is convenient and easy adaptable especially for the web where we all are. But sRGB does not contain as many colours as RGB or even proRGB. Many photographers who usually use a professional printer business outside of their homes prefer RGB so do I, also since pro printers convert RGB to CMYK. When pictures are produced / processed in RGB they will show a colour cast which may appear unnatural to all photographers who operate with sRGB on their monitors and cameras, to some extent bluish or well saturated on the web. I do not write this as a defence but as an explanation to why some of you may have perceived my pictures as extra colourful. If in my case, I should change all this to sRGB, my monitor shall have to be calibrated again into sRGB, my cameras too. And all my photography from previous days shall appear to me as you see them on the web. One may of course ask oneself, what is most important to each individual? Do I often print my pictures outside of home and when? Or do I produce my pictures for the web mostly. I started out in RGB because I printed at times for exhibitions and for sale. If I was to start today, I probably would have started out in sRGB for convenience sake and adaptability to the rest of the web.

Here is a picture that at least Tom would recognize and as I use as an illustration, and only he can tell me in return whether it appears as he saw it or whether it has got this colour cast that I have talked about here. On my monitor it appears as I saw it across the street.

This looks pretty similar to what I remember seeing Ivar. Perhaps a little darker and with deeper blues. But overall it looks good on my system and I think it is a very clever image.

Lovely shot Ivar and super timing. He blends nicely into the scene.

My preferred colour space is ProphotoRGB and that is what I use in LR, PS and CaptureOne. My cameras are set to Adobe RGB and my main monitors are calibrated and are profiled as are my other input and output devices. When I export JPEGs for use on the web I specify sRGB as the output colour space.

Thank you Pete. Where have you been while all this saturation has taken place?:) I'm grateful that you tell me this since I have done the same before but left ProRGB and stuck to RGB in all I'm doing. But apart from you I did not convert it to sRGB for the web. I've been told that the colours at the other end would go haywire, now you've proven them all wrong with your own pictures. Grateful my man and all the best. ( Must admit that my preferences in my own parameter may have had a slight twist to the right on the saturation scale. Please don't tell anyone ).:D

Back