Comet Hunting

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
I set out at 5am this morning, to try and capture comet Ison as it streaks towards it's encounter with the sun.

My first choice location was closed (Double Peak Park), so I proceeded to my 2nd choice spot - an inland cliff overlooking Encinitas CA, with a great view to the South-East.

As dawn broke - the sky was filled with low level cloud near the horizon - which made for a great shot, but not great viewing for comets!

11070014926_02bebd08ce_b.jpg

I'd taken the 5DII as well, with 600mm f/4 - in case I spotted the comet - but given the conditions, I lined it up for the fabulous dawn lighting over the mountains.

11069659476_9625224b99_c.jpg

Canon 5DII and 600 f/4 @ f/11

I returned home, happy with the dawn images, but rather disappointed not to have seen the comet.

But then, when reviewing a wide shot from my 23mm in Photoshop - I spotted it - peaking out between the clouds!

11070050305_3d3657f849_b.jpg

Cropped frame - Comet Ison is in the top left segment of the sky, 1/3 of the way in from the left. I think the smaller blob above it is Saturn.

Look at the larger size of the image to see anything really!

So I'm calling it a success - although I have to say I wanted a bigger show from Ison - maybe if it makes it's back this way after orbiting the sun, I'll get another chance.

Last edited:
CCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.............!!! Awesome set Chris, well worth getting up for i reckon, colours are amazing.....!!

CCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.............!!! Awesome set Chris, well worth getting up for i reckon, colours are amazing.....!!
Thanks Daz - it really looked like that as well - the 5DII shot is pretty much straight off the RAW file!
I saw it as soon as I looked at your first pic,...but since you didn't mention it I assumed it was just dust on your film :p.
You're experienced at looking for that dust then clearly Mr Moore! :D
Great shots Chris, with a bonus. I head back to Berlin tomorrow and I'm hoping to see something over the coming week.
Thanks Pete - you'll need to catch ISON before it gets too close to the sun to see - and then it's anyones guess if it will make it around the close solar pass

You're experienced at looking for that dust then clearly Mr Moore! :D
Yes sir! Those terrible people the Dust Police have been hounding me mercilessly and without cause for a couple of years now.
(I'm not naming any names but you know who you are @Pete Askew:p!)

We had very clear skies for several mornings and I was up early several times. No comet for me either. I'm hoping it makes it around the sun to put on a show next week!

These are wonderful Chris. Shame about the comet spotting but at least the constillation prize is worth having. :)
indeed - thanks Julian :)

Back