Commercial interior design and architecture photography

Max Dupliy

Hello colleagues, I'm new to the forum
Wondering if some of you working for architects shooting different styles of modern buildings.
What are you shooting /editing techniques when it comes to places were there is high DR difference(over 6 stops) between interior and exterior?

Hello colleagues, I'm new to the forum
Wondering if some of you working for architects shooting different styles of modern buildings.
What are you shooting /editing techniques when it comes to places were there is high DR difference(over 6 stops) between interior and exterior?
Greetings Max. Welcome to RPF. I feel that I should know what "DR" means but it's not coming to me. Nevertheless, I've never worked as a photographer for any architectural firm but I have taken quite a lot of pictures of buildings (mostly the outside of them). That doesn't mean I'm qualified to answer your question in any meaningful way, but your question is an intriguing one. Are you trying to balance exposure of an indoor shot in such a way that light entering through windows isn't blown out? This is a big issue for real estate photographers whose aim is to the interior of a room and also the view from that room. One technique I've looked at for that is called "window pulls." It's a bit too technical for me to explain here in a brief response but there are lots of videos on YouTube that show the process. (If you would like me to I can point you to the name of a real estate photographer whose videos cover this technique.) If I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve please elaborate if you would. Thanks.

Greetings Max. Welcome to RPF. I feel that I should know what "DR" means but it's not coming to me. Nevertheless, I've never worked as a photographer for any architectural firm but I have taken quite a lot of pictures of buildings (mostly the outside of them). That doesn't mean I'm qualified to answer your question in any meaningful way, but your question is an intriguing one. Are you trying to balance exposure of an indoor shot in such a way that light entering through windows isn't blown out? This is a big issue for real estate photographers whose aim is to the interior of a room and also the view from that room. One technique I've looked at for that is called "window pulls." It's a bit too technical for me to explain here in a brief response but there are lots of videos on YouTube that show the process. (If you would like me to I can point you to the name of a real estate photographer whose videos cover this technique.) If I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to achieve please elaborate if you would. Thanks.
Thanks Brian. Yes, I'm shooting big public space, 50 meters on each side, shooting interior and exterior of it, the tricky part is from interior to exterior. I do want to get good balanced image, while interior bright ceiling/walls remain still bright, and get outside in a separate exposure brought down(blue sky). I do have 2stop exposure brackets, but the thing is that it comes at the end to manual masking, which I want to avoid, as there are dozens of glass pieces that have metal round beams in between, which by itself lit partly from exterior and partly by interior light, so interested to know what editing/shooting techniques arc. photogs. apply without going to 1-2 hour masking for each image.

Welcome to RPF, Max. Nice to have you here.

Is it 'only' dynamic range (DR) or is it colour temperature balance as well? I’m not sure there is an easy answer to this issue. I assume you are shooting from a static position (tripod?) and so maybe a bit of ‘old school' filtration (colour correction and ND) might help with the images you will then use to merge in post-processing.

Welcome to RPF, Max. Nice to have you here.

Is it 'only' dynamic range (DR) or is it colour temperature balance as well? I’m not sure there is an easy answer to this issue. I assume you are shooting from a static position (tripod?) and so maybe a bit of ‘old school' filtration (colour correction and ND) might help with the images you will then use to merge in post-processing.
Thanks Rob and Pete.
Not, it's only DR , where the diff. between int. and ext. is more than 6-7 stops, not color or color temp. issue. The goal is to get very realistic blending without spending hours on masking, and in my case with all widows/glass pieces and the metal beams that hold them can take hours.
Yes, of course, shooting from tripod.

Back