Conflict photographer, Eric Bouvet, moves to X-Pro1

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
Interesting to see, as this man is a legend in the conflict photography arena, and has been a long time Nikon SLR, and long time Canon DSLR user for his work.

672110.jpg

Adrian Branco interviewed Bouvet just before the journalist headed out to Morocco, and asked him about his move away from his current workhorse, the Canon 5DII, to a pair of Fuji X-Pro1 bodies.

Translation result for http://www.01net.com/editorial/564450/l-and-156-il-du-photographe-eric-bouvet-et-le-fujifilm-x-pro-1-1-2/

Interesting stuff - size and quality of image were the key factors it seems.

Eric Bouvet

The comments below by the other readers expressed a fair amount of skepticism about the viability of that camera as a photojournalist camera - especially in a war zone. They cite the slow AF as the main reason. Is it really that bad? It's the exact type of camera I'm looking for, but since I plan to shoot a lot of kids in low light with it, I'm beginning to think it may be worth holding off for now and waiting to see what else comes out.

You can have a play when we get together and see what you think.

The AF has been excellent for me to date, but is different in design to Canon for sure.

I noted the comments at the end of the post - but find it strange that they feel the need to tell a pro how to do his job...

Given that his job depends on his shots - you'd have to assume he'd careful weigh every choice of equipment

During the film era, Leica's were much favored for war coverage. They had a reputation of reliability, which more complex SLRs did not. The classic lens kit was a 28mm or 35mm, 50mm and 90mm—sound familiar? The big advantage however is stealth. There is something about a big, noisy SLR that seems aggressive, while a RF-type camera is next to invisible.

Any time I was assigned to photography potentially dangerous people, the Nikons stayed in the bag. Photographers are not all that welcome in combat zones and the mortality rate is high. A stealthy camera may be the advantage that keeps one from being targeted. Remember, you are the only person in the area who is not armed. War is governed by rules that are often broken, and photographers are often the only source of evidence. Many have found themselves under fire from both sides. Any advantage—even if it is simply the style of your equipment—is significant when people are likely to be shooting at you.

Slow AF? Bizarrely absurd. The above cameras of war were manual focus and vastly slower than the XP1's AF. Perhaps the difference was that they were being used by intelligent photographers, who had the ability to anticipate a decisive-moment approaching. Brainless snapshooters may delude themselves that cameras can guess correctly what in the frame is the subject. Anyone with the slightest experience knows the camera does not read minds—even assuming there is one behind the camera. Since the beginning of photography, anticipation has always been the most important aspect of great photographs. Sense the coming of the moment and be fully prepared to catch it—whether the camera is totally manual or highly automatic.

Mirrorless cameras use contrast detection, while in normal mode, dSLRs use phase detection which is faster. With even the basics of technique, focus time is a total non-issue. In Single mode, the focus rectangle can be quickly moved to almost any area of the image, and it can also be resized. No need to focus in the middle and then recompose. Place the rectangle on the subject, half-press the shutter and the camera snaps into focus. If the subject makes a sudden move, release and half-press again. The camera confirms focus by changing the rectangle from white to green. When the decisive-moment occurs, finish the stroke and lag will be pretty much non-existent. Even with the almost violently quick focus of my D700, the proper half-press technique means zero out of focus shots. Incidentally, in full LiveView mode, the D700 is much slower to focus than the XP1.

Automatic systems do not relieve the shooter from having to learn and use proper technique. Understanding how they work, means a much higher percentage of keepers. See:
Automatic Cameras and how to come to trust them

Larry said "Since the beginning of photography, anticipation has always been the most important aspect of great photographs."

I think that is well said!

Back