Confusion

Ivar Dahl-Larsen

Through many years one has photographed with many cameras and as with cars, the present one is absolute the best there is. ( Not too sure about that one though ).

And I claim so in regard to my present X-E1. But along comes photographers with its newest brother and yes, it has a few things or assets that make your teeth water, forgetting presently how you photograph, how much and what sort of images you prefer and are on the lookout for. And last but not least, you are not to sell them pictures anymore unless one desperately wants to, but then out of what you already have.

Confusion strikes ever so often these days. They say, them big shots out there, that I need primes. Nothing is better than primes and I nod in agreement forgetting I have had primes up through the years, still have. I remember I used my legs as zooming objects, till I fell down a hill in my confusion and hurt my body and pride.

Will I ever get content or is it a chronic fact; “That I can get no satisfaction?” whichever equipment I have. It seems to me, that this bacteria is damaging quite a few brains these days, clouding mine at least.

Mrs. Bucket as I call her, has to look so and so, being out of focus in a certain manner. Relatively speaking, quite a few talk about how much should be in focus and sharp. I was wondering if for example an 18mm / 27mm FF would be good enough as a prime for me? Confusion again! It is good wide open but just in a small circle in the middle they say. By an aperture of maybe 5,6 or even better at 8, everything should be sharp. But almost every wide angle behaves like that, give or take a few. Will I be able to achieve sharpness with this lens, stepping it down, a sharpness that Rob and Julian get out of their Merrills. Do they step it down? And they say that the Merrilll 2 is even sharper. My confusion gets worse. Getting one more new camera and the confusion shall be constant. I thought by time, it would get easier, but I was wrong.

Then I look at some of my pictures done with my present equipment. Of course some would like it and some won’t. ´Cest la Vie.

But I have detected that a zoom these days can do the trick for me in regard to Mrs. Bucket. And should a great little distance of DOF be required, well then I have my 35mm/1,4 which I love but use not so much.

Unless they call me from the Lotto, ( they do that here in Norway ), I may again be tempted and look for its brother or sister. Until then I shall have hopefully, a cough free Easter with no confusion.

All the best to you out there and may you all have a wonderful Easter.

Here's a few that I feel is good enogh in regard to Mrs. bucket and DOF, done with Zooms.

interiør_DSF6840.jpg

Attachments

• Midt i Norge.jpg
    Midt i Norge.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 9
  • butterflies and humblebees.jpg
    butterflies and humblebees.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 10
  • a confusing glance.jpg
    a confusing glance.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 9
Very good post Ivar. Don't be confused.
I held on to my old Pentax DSLR for 10 years and only changed because I wanted something lighter and smaller. My Pentax was a 10mp camera and it served me well. I printed up to A3 size. I never felt the need to upgrade. Like you, I now have the XE1 and it produces an image quality that is totally acceptable to me. It's simple to use and without fairy lights and useless gimmicks. Not the most comfortable in the hand though but I am now getting used to it.
The terrorism of technology and the Photoshops of this world I generally choose to ignore and have no brand loyalty. The quest to constantly "upgrade" us leaves me cold. Personally, I need just one camera to take photographs with.
I know, I do go on:)

Others align their love of photography with their love of the equipment and it is always interesting for me to hear their chats on this forum. Their love of cameras is so evident and I too appreciate that a well made and engineered piece of equipment can be a beautiful thing. I recently read some old postings on this forum where Pete Askew built his own camera and I was very moved when I saw the images it produced and I was filled with admiration. Gosh! If I could just build my own camera.
Happy Easter Ivar.

Thank you Tom and a happy easter to you too. Yes I am actually very happy with my camera and it feels actually better in every way than my "old" D700 Nikon, which is sold. I have made my own leather case for the X-E1 and with that, the grip is quite OK. I am not really confused, but a little annoyed with myself at times for falling for the temptations out there:D.

I own a ludicrous number of cameras. Some can be justified as they are used for specific purposes in my work by both me and my colleagues. Others were bought out of curiosity and still others… well, I have no idea. However, I shoot about 75% of my personal pictures with one camera (and often just the one lens) - an M9 + a 35mm lens. I don't tend to chase the latest things and am usually quite conservative with my choices. But I know what you mean Ivar and there is nothing wrong with modern zoom lenses, I have several for Nikon cameras. I do tend to use prime lenses more but not out of some elitist stance but simply because I like to use one or two focal lengths consistently. I find I get sort of stuck in a focal length and even if I do have a zoom lens I end up taking most of the shots at or another extreme.

Good post, Ivar, and good responses. Here's my story...

I started photography with the a Fuji X100, a fixed-lens camera. I really loved using it, and moving myself in or away from the subject just seemed normal after a while. I then got the Fuji XS1, which is a fine zoom bridge camera, but if found myself only using it very ocassionally.

Then Fuji brought out the XE1, and a roadmap of lenses, and I thought that maybe this would be a better way for me to take photographs. I discovered that it was a really good camera, but I could only afford one lens, the 18-55mm. I never found I was happy with the experience of zooming, even within it's restricted range. Although the camera and lens took fine images, I found the experience too alien to me. I longed to go back to my X100, which had taught me a lot about photography. But Fuji had brought out the X100S, an improvement, and from what I can see from users here and elsewhere, it is a stunning camera. But it was beyond my budget.

Then the price dropped on the Merrills. I'd had my eye on them for a year or so. At the price they are now, it was a no-brainer. I traded my Fuji in, and had enough to buy two, the DP1 and DP3. And then I found a mint DP2 on eBay for a give-away price. I really feel I've gone back to the X100 experience, with something of the film camera experience thrown in.

They are not perfect cameras, but they seem perfect for me. At least for the way I do my photography today. I have noticed I am using Nik Effex less and less. The out-of-camera shots are so good, sometimes just a little darkening or softening is needed, sometimes nothing at all. And they really do fit in my coat pocket.

The point is, they fit the WAY I do photography. They certainly won't do that for everybody.

Thank you Rob for your answer. Well I started way back in 1967 and had my socalled professional training and diplomas in B.C. Canada. That did not mean I was a photographer albeit my head was convinced that I was. I had a lot of learning to come and still have a lot to learn. I have had more cameras than I care to remember, which jobs provided me with. I started taking interest in computers in early 80 and been with them ever since. My first digital camera was Canon EOS 350 I think it was called and have tried numerous since then. Being a pensioner, reducing weight and volume as I do not get any younger, has been my main target without losing focus on what is essential with what a camera is able to give me. Fairly quick focus, hopefully knobs with shuttertime, aperture on the lens, dynamic leeway I can live with and as mentioned before, light and unobtrusive in use. Along came X-E1 and it did not take me long to realize that this one was for me. Especially after all the firmware updates and if I am not mistaken, quite close to both X-E2 and XT1 what dynamic range is concerned and its speed of focus. I could never focus manually as fast anyhow. Yes, as you I prefer primes and FF 28, 50, and 85 eventually 90 would be a set I absolutely can live with, but....
FX 18 is not that good they say. 35mm (53mm) is great and I have it. The kit lens is a zoom and very good as a 28 so now I have taped it at that perspective. I must admit that I also have the 55 - 200mm FX which I seldom use, but when I do, it really surprises me with its quality. I have promised myself many times that enough is enough and I do not take any better picture with new equipment. If I hadn't been happy with what I have, I certainly would have looked for newer cameras. It is a funny mind working up there on top I tell you. But I am happy, I even have two of them. Then comes the XT1 along. Just as small, nice to look at, has exactly the same knobs in the right places with a wonderful evf which I prefer to a display in the back. Can't as you become content with just a display. And the mind starts to quiver, tremble with curiosity, hands shaking with exitement, knowing I have the lenses I need for it. But the price scares me stiff for I get next to nothing for one of my X-E1 as a trade off or out there on the second hand market. The mind starts to rasionalize and says; " you spoiled brat, do you really think that the follow focus which I seldom used when I had it, the big viewfinder, the weatherseal and the flip out display is going to do much difference?" A long time there has been silence up there and that mind of mine says; -- maybe? If only my Mrs. shall understand the need I have for perfection and the fact that this one camera which I've been searching for all my life without knowing it, shall be the one. There shall have to be methods of seduction which shall have to be improved upon. Devious plans and long term planning shall have to be initiated. By the time I reach 75 I may have succeeded. Until then I shall have to save, - until another one comes along. Cheers Rob!:D

Again I agree with you, but.... which one would that be? Neither Rob nor someone else I know have those guts, except Pete to a certain extent.

Again I agree with you, but.... which one would that be? Neither Rob nor someone else I know have those guts, except Pete to a certain extent.
Have no idea Ivar; comfortable with what I have.
Hmmm don't know about the guts; I think the boys manage very well with what I think might be fixed lenses on their Merlins.
I just always feel that the whole world is watching me when I'm on the street with the camera. It's silly really.
It's probably just my good looks or the rapidly developing bald patch on the back of my head:mad:

Back