Couple from Shaniko, Oregon, USA

Bob Jarman

Shaniko is a ghost town, founded in ~1906 (not old by European standards for certain). It is located in the "high desert" region of Oregon, east of the Cascade mountains which wring most Pacific moisture from the atmosphere. Originally a thriving collection and transport point for wool and timber, the major rail line by-passed the town precipitating its decline.

Several organizations are struggling to sustain some sort of tourist attraction with at this point little success. During the off-season, November through April, the General Store is the only establishment open, mainly to support local ranchers, as well as sell ice, cigarettes, and beer to passing truck traffic.

Several images from my most recent visit: jail house, piano sitting on the front porch of the Stagecoach depot, and some vehicles scattered at various locations in fields.

All images captured with Fuji X-Pro1 and processed using a variety of Guy Gowan's processes.

_XP20149_Cuffs_2.jpg _XP10111_Lock_cropped.jpg _TruckInField.jpg

_FireTruckSteeringWheel.jpg FieldFix0.jpg PianoPiece.jpg

Bob

Rob & Pete,

Thank you.

Number of ghost towns? I have no idea. The more photogenic are in the western US where the low humidity inhibits wood rot, termite infestation, and mildew. One of the more photographed is Bodie, California just at the at the apex of the California-Nevada state line - geography high & dry. Few remain intact in Oregon as most were either destroyed by natural fire, a common occurrence in the formerly heavily wooded desert regions, the buildings vandalized for the wood, or structures razed by the Bureau of Land Management for some reason the government thought appropriate.

Guy Gowan - an Irish fellow who has developed digital processes for Photoshop and recently did a webcast for the folks on Fuji X-Forum. Sometimes I confuse the audiences :) His site, subscription only, is www.guygowan.com. I just find his processes perform very well for me.

Cyclist? No, only three folks in town were my daughter who was chatting up the store keeper in the general store, and myself.

Love that red dash - wonderful study in decay

Back