Cramond Beach, Edinburgh

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Not the best weather today, but this morning I cycled three or four miles to Cramond - a pretty wee village on the outskirts of Edinburgh. I took my X-S1 as I thought I would need the zoom, but rarely used it. Sadly I snapped a few shots before realising the exposure compensation was at +2. So, a few shots were binned, and a few needed resusitation in Elements and Nik Colour and Silver. Did I learn my lesson to check every setting before commencing shooting? Probably not :eek:

Selenium toning:

Sunday Walk At Cramond by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

2 by 2 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

Here's Mike Lewis of Organised bike rides in and around Edinburgh - never met him before, but we had a nice chat. I said I'd put his photo up here later today. So if you are looking in, Mike, welcome to the site :) [More selenium toning]

Mike The Bike by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

Parents rarely realise how stupid they look. Here they try to get their kid to do something silly, or just smile for the photographer:

A few moments later they started chatting to themselves, and the child wandered off and got lost. When he started crying, the mother came running. I seem to have seen something similar last week with my ''Adults...'' ''...are so boring'' shots.

Little Boy Lost by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Yes, the selenium ones are really super Rob - love the leading lines in the Mike Lewis shot

The big skies in #1 and #2 are lovely

Little boy lost is classic - have you tried it in B&W?

He might look even more lost in B&W! :D

Thanks, Chris. Yes, I went immediately to bw for the wee boy, but somehow I just couldn't get it to work. His figure just got lost. I might try again, using the Nik Upoint technology thing to bring him out.

I like the first a lot - a case where the over-compensated exposure actually works well with the selenium toning. Wish I'd brought the x100, as the processor is better. Still not got around to carrying both cameras. Don't know how people can carry around a DSLR and a bucketload of lenses. The X-Pro 1 seems ideal. Maybe in five years time...

Not had much time recently due to a combination of a busy at work and then two weeks in the garden while Ina was over. Have hardly picked up a camera and have only been scratching at the edges of the forum. But I have no caught up completely! Just need to remember how to use a camera now!! ;)

Is the course all done now Rob?

It finishes this week, but I handed in my final portfolio early last week. They say it takes about three months to get the result. To be honest, I don't really care much about a mark as such, but they give you pro feedback, and that's always nice - of course, I get it here for free! It came at the right time for me, when my photography was making progress, and it helped with some technical and theoretical background, which, knowing me, I'll forget quite soon...

Back