Creature Vs Camera

Dan Cattermole

Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble
Either way, both astonishing!

Flash photog was not aloud in the bat cave, you could get right up close and personal with these lovely creatures, they just flew around you too.

The cave was almost complete darkness, there was JUST enough light to let people see where they were going, that was it.
People were not bothering with photos on their cameras being so reliant on flash in these conditions. Some I noticed give it a go on their smart phones and muttered... "It's too dark"....

I cranked up the ISO to 6400, f/2, 1/30th sec, and only took these two shots .... This all on my Fuj, then walked out smiling past those who had failed, smug as a dog can be.

by DanCatt, on Flickr

by DanCatt, on Flickr

Processed straight to JPEG on the camera with a boost of noise reduction.
I don't think I've ever posted a shot with such high ISO, let alone been impressed with it.

Thanks for looking :)

Thanks Rob, I was worried about the shutter speed being too slow as these little things were really twitchy....
Worked out well though. Thanks Rob.

I think you did a fine job, but, here comes the butt, I would have liked the bat to not blend in so much with the background. I see however, that that must have been difficult under the circumstances. So, straight out of the camera, it's wonderfully done. You can sit down on that purchase of yours and relax with you laurels now.:);)

i do know that one can get little pink capes from ebay that just fit the bats in this cave, boy will they stand out then.

no1 is beautiful, 6400 is a good choice on a fuji, i use it a lot at night on my x-pro1, a touch of NR and alls good usually.

best
pc

Brilliant Dan. Under the circumstances you worked and got results like an old Pro. Maybe you are one :). That is a smashing camera to produce this that is for sure.

It brought back a memory. I went fishing as kid on the beach, a small cheap rod hooks in a pocket and nowt else. I passed a lot of fishermen sitting on chairs huge boxes of gear, latest carbon fibre rods and reels that could cast hundred and fifty metres or so.
I kept saying hi as I walked past and none acknowledged me. Oh well I though and wondered on by knowing a good spot at the end of the beach. I caught a six pound bass, which when holding it and walking, the tail rubbed the sand.
So I deliberately left a wee bit early so I could walk on past the empty handed fishermen . :cool: .

superb !! the low light capabilities of this camera are amazing, as are you :)

I think you did a fine job, but, here comes the butt, I would have liked the bat to not blend in so much with the background. I see however, that that must have been difficult under the circumstances. So, straight out of the camera, it's wonderfully done. You can sit down on that purchase of yours and relax with you laurels now.:);)
Thanks Ivar. I'd of love off seen the bats not blend in so much, but as you were saying, circumstances were quite difficult and very limited.
I'm certainly not a wildlife type of guy in terms of photography... I'm useless at it to be honest and would of dismissed the shots if it weren't for the story to go with it. :) made me laugh how many folk were deleting shots as fast as they were coming in. :)

Brilliant Dan. Under the circumstances you worked and got results like an old Pro. Maybe you are one :). That is a smashing camera to produce this that is for sure.

It brought back a memory. I went fishing as kid on the beach, a small cheap rod hooks in a pocket and nowt else. I passed a lot of fishermen sitting on chairs huge boxes of gear, latest carbon fibre rods and reels that could cast hundred and fifty metres or so.
I kept saying hi as I walked past and none acknowledged me. Oh well I though and wondered on by knowing a good spot at the end of the beach. I caught a six pound bass, which when holding it and walking, the tail rubbed the sand.
So I deliberately left a wee bit early so I could walk on past the empty handed fishermen . :cool: .

Brilliant story Julian. Smug satisfaction is something else isn't it. :)
Admittedly, I paid a lot of attention to the cameras that flooded the place, DSLR's, 'Big Boy lenses' (Sigma 200-500mm I think), and some HUGE guy with a D800 and some whopping lens on it........... But there's me with a little monster under my arms. :)

I loved that Julian, great sense of humour.

Back